Crufts 2010 Experiences

I went last year and this year... last year didnt go in the main arena at all just looked round all the stands, discover dogs and the breed judging had a great time, this year spent most of the day in the main arena watching all the things they had to offer the agility, obeidence, heelwork to music, flyball and the rescue dogs parade and all the little demos they did and went out into the stands and discover dogs periodically again had a great time some of the heelwork to music especially was absolutly fantasic! Although I have come the conclusion that in order to get round everything you do need to go for at least two days if not all four! So will hope to be able to afford to go two days next year! And then in a few years time hope that if I work really hard with Nuks can train her to dance with me and get her in there to coz I think she'd LOVE it!!! biggrin.gif

I was initially going to report on my experience in the thread I started earlier, but it has turned into the usual type argument. So thanks for starting this one biggrin.gif

(more images in my gallery)

My Saturday started at 7am with a text from Angie who was already on the train. Talk about eager tongue.gif. I still made made it to the NEC before her, but that was because I had taken the train up to Birmingham the previous night. So I had a little while to get my bearings and find the Husky stand at the Discover Dogs section:

gallery_406_4_138177.jpg

I got to meet Meranda and Sweetie-Pie

gallery_406_4_205165.jpg

gallery_406_4_223963.jpg

So I then met up with Angie who turned out to be very cool and really involved with dog welfare. She ended up meeting tons of people she has worked with in the past. she was kind enough to swap me a whole bunch of goodies for my extra crufts ticket.

It was then time for lots of dog discovering

gallery_406_4_84367.jpg

gallery_406_4_98434.jpg

gallery_406_4_146939.jpg

gallery_406_4_69970.jpg

gallery_406_4_194004.jpg

gallery_406_4_115689.jpg

gallery_406_4_113270.jpg

This hairless mexican dog was definetely the warmest and weirdest to pet.

It was then back to the husky stand for the new set of huskies with their owner

gallery_406_4_222706.jpg

gallery_406_4_187974.jpg

And more discovering...

gallery_406_4_59312.jpg

gallery_406_4_94741.jpg

gallery_406_4_55507.jpg

gallery_406_4_46588.jpg

gallery_406_4_5979.jpg

This Portuguese Podengo/Warren Hound was soooo cute

gallery_406_4_38940.jpg

gallery_406_4_58645.jpg

Chief, the cool malamute from a stand selling treadmills for dogs

Angie and I went through tons of stalls. I thought I had seen most of them when I realized I had only seen 2 halls out of 5! That is why I had the impression that there weren't that many quality products or sled dog specific ones. There was a dedicated EzyDog stall which was very cool as they have a new harness which is not on their site yet.

Anyway, too tired and knowing I was returning I left around 6pm. Angie had been joking all day about missing her train that it actually happened blink.gif Her first train was late so she missed her connnection. Sorry Angie and THANKS!!

Second day's report coming soon.

So on to day 2, Sunday. This was going to be Shopping Day since I had held off on buying anything the previous day. Warning: Don't do this alone, as you will get carried away.

But I first started with (Re)Discover Dogs and the Huskies of course because it is so great being able to see these many dogs and pet them all biggrin.gif These are actually Jacqui Sercombe's huskies. She is a member here (tokyn17) and was responsible for organizing the Siberian Huksy stand.

gallery_406_4_53541.jpg

gallery_406_4_9278.jpg

gallery_406_4_112212.jpg

gallery_406_4_24532.jpg

gallery_406_4_50418.jpg

gallery_406_4_41423.jpg

gallery_406_4_28673.jpg

I then took a break to see the main Arena which I had missed the previous day

gallery_406_4_179283.jpg

gallery_406_4_151251.jpg

It was soo much fun to see the knock-out agility.

I then went to the look for a semi-slip collar, a cani-cross or pulling harness and a backpack.

I found the stand for muddypaws.co.uk and got the Ruffwear palisades pack for £85 instead of £99 (http://www.muddypaws...k/prod_293.html) I got a medium since Yanky is 78cm in girth but I'm not sure its the right fit. They said I could exchange it, so I went ahead. The EzyDog pack looked a lot smaller in terms of volume it could carry and the large one looked like it would be too big on him. I'll send pics when he tries it on biggrin.gif

Continuing on my quest for goodies i met Sindy and Shafi from www.kisi.co.uk with some of their dogs:

gallery_406_4_169561.jpg

gallery_406_4_172377.jpg

Sindy was extremely helpful and advised me on a running belt (which I bought) and a semi-slip collar, and a Norwegian racing harness. I ended up getting the XXL harness on her advice after one of the huskies modeled it for us (it was funny when I yelled hike and the husky woke up from his lethargytongue.gif)

gallery_406_4_57912.jpg

I then got two different training/ladder leads, one cheaper one and then a better one from Red Dingo. They were the same price but there is so much out there you can't really do true comparison shopping.

I ended my day at 6pm again, with really sore feet and legs.

All in all, it was a great weekend and I do think that I want to spend more time at the arena next time. But meeting dogs hands on is just really nice. They are just incredibly affectionate and well-behaved.

Again, there are lots more pictures in the gallery. Who says I don't put pictures up now?!smile.gif

Oh yeah, I also saw the trainer and dogs from Eastenders (this means something only to those in the UK). This was held at one of the dogs foods who sponsor her. She had a whole bunch on dogs performing neat acting tricks on commands. They are all very food motivated and stand on 'mark'. I asked which dog treats they used for the training, and it turned out to be hot dog slices laugh.gif, not the dog food treats.

Thanks for the feedback. It was tons of fun and really worth it.

Going over my notes from the Crufts weekend:

The husky stand was manned by Jacqui Sercombe on the Sunday. She is a member here (tokyn17) and those are 3 of her huskies. She actually organized the husky stand at Discover Dogs.

Angie and I found a stand for a new sledding dog shop: www.XtraDog.com. It was a little weird because I was looking for a semi-slip collar and they told me they didn't believe in choke collars so they didn't have semi-slip ones either. I'm not sure they knew the difference.

Here is the new harness which EzyDog is gong to start selling: http://doxlock.com/. It is actually produced by a different company and probably sold under a licensing term. I actually found it in a different stand with tags in german and no mention of EzyDog mellow.gif

Nah, I bought a Palisades harness with detachable backpack and also a Norwegian racing harness. The doxlock does have velcro on the sides but it is only to attach customizable stickers tongue.gif. What is interesting is that it has a ton of accesories and in theory could be a walking harness, a pulling harness, backpack, etc all in-one. But thet didn't have any pricing except that they sold out of the samples they brought to the show.