Potty Training

LeahVerkuyl

Hi! I just adopted a six month old husky. I’m really happy with how she is settling in and the progress she is making in such a short time. But I am stumped - she keeps having accidents inside and I don’t know what to do. We take her on multiple long walks a day and not once has she used the bathroom outside. Because if she did I would just positively reinforce that behaviour and I feel like we would have some progress. But not once has she gone outside. I’m thinking maybe with her old owners she was punished too many times for having accidents now she is hesitate to go at all...? The accidents are not that often because she seems be holding it a long time until she just can’t any longer. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Hello and welcome to the forum.    The only thing I can think of it to take potty training right back to the begining.   Take her out (in the garden)  after every meal, drink,  and at her age possibly every hour (rather than half hourly with a very young pup) - and just stay with her until she goes.    She will have to go sooner or later.    Have plenty of treats in your pocket so the reward is immediate.   Holding it will not be doing her any good at her age obviously.

If you can devote two whole days to nothing but her potty training she should get the message.       Just dont let her back inside the house until she has done something  - but stay with her, don't leave her on her own so she thinks it is a punishment, play with her,  do some other training etc.    This would be an excellent time to try and sort out a toilet area for her  - so she knows it is 'safe'  to go there and is her's alone.

• Like 1

How long ago did you adopt her?  It took my girl till she was about 9 months old to have the confidence to go outside on walks and would always hold it in , I would suggest that before and after a walk to take her into the garden (on or off her lead) and make sure she toilets before letting her back in the house,  keep making sure she's going out every hour or so and right after any kind of activity (eating/drinking , sleeping etc) she'll get the hang of it once she gains the confidence 

• 6 months later...