My husky is missing a toe, what do I do?

Hi, 

We just adopted a husky. Her right back paw was wrapped when we adopted her but the rescue said it would be completely healed in 3 days. We took the bandage off and she is missing a toe. This was not the injury they told us it was. We took her to the vet and we're giving her antibiotics, probiotics, and soaking her foot in betadine and water every day now.

But we don't know how to keep her foot clean when we take her for walks cause the vet said we need to leave it unwrapped to heal. Are there plastic injury booties to go under other booties that I can put on her paw for walks? 

Has anyone experienced helping a husky heal from losing a toe?

I'd appreciate any advice, we're overwhelmed.  

Thank you!

I got a set of soft leather boots for one of my boys,  - from Amazon of all places,  but if you do an internet search you will find loads.    (I don't know what country you are from - you don't mention it)

If there is no infection in the foot I would use a combination of salt+water+calendular tincture.     20 drops of tincture in an egg cup, half a teaspoon of salt and some warm water  (about 2 tablespoons)  and bath the toe every hour and let dry naturally.   Calendula is a fantastic skin healer and the salt will help dry out of wound.

• Like 1