My Husky Puppy

Kate71

Hello! My name is Kate and I live in Australia. I have just recently got my first ever Husky puppy and boy is she full on! She is so beautiful but has a lot of sass for 12 weeks old. My partner and I also have a 6 year old German Shepherd and they both love each other. They are always playing around and having fun. I get stressed out because for now I have to leave her inside the house while our other dog is outside while we are at work. I want her to get a bit bigger before leaving her outside the whole day. I do try and keep lots of toys and kongs with peanut butter and treats to keep her occupied for when she is awake. I had a camera there and she pretty much sleeps most of the day. Yesterday I got home and she has chewed a hole in the wall............. Would anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I'm hoping when I put her outside which shouldn't be too far away, that they will both be able to keep each other company until we get home and can take them out to exercise. She gets her last lot of needles tomorrow so as soon as its safe to go to parks I will be taking her out morning and night and I hope that will calm her down a bit. 

A bored husky is something to be feared  -  when Marley was a pup he ate the arm off my sofa - then gave me a matching one off an armchair.    This phase usually starts around the time their adult teeth are coming through  - and ends round about the time their adult teeth are fully through.

Isn't Australia  into summer now?     I would be a little concerned about the heat  - unless they have a paddling pool with cool water in so they can splash around   - that together with a nice cold floor to lie on.   A pup cannot control their body heat as well as an adult dog  - and when their double coat is fully in  -  its a lot harder to cool down.

Marley is now 6 and I am still waiting for him to calm down  - he probably never will  - he is a air-head.    Mikey on the other hand is happy to lay down and snooze for the majority of the day    (but we are both home all day).

@wolfpup I am very worried that she will become bored. I have SO many different toys as well as a play mate (he is outside during the day at the moment as he goes a bit crazy if we leave him inside during the day). I'm hoping exercise in the morning and afternoon will tucker her out. We live close to the beach so we will be taking her a lot. Good to hear that it should hopefully stop after they finish teething.

We are coming out of our hot days now as we are almost into Autumn. She is still inside while the heat is here and I leave the aircon running on the hot days. We have lots of shady spots and also have a pool and a small shell pool. She loves the water so there is always plenty of that available.

I'm just hoping she will calm down once she gets older. The father dog was very calm and quiet, apparently even as a pup so she obviously didn't take after her dad... haha

just remember that at that age 5 min of exercise per month of age is recommended, not per day but every time you take the pup out.

a very good way to make them tired is mental training like for instance hand target training... https://positively.com/dog-behavior/basic-cues/hand-target-training/

2 hours ago, Kate71 said:

@wolfpup 

We are coming out of our hot days now as we are almost into Autumn. She is still inside while the heat is here and I leave the aircon running on the hot days. We have lots of shady spots and also have a pool and a small shell pool. She loves the water so there is always plenty of that available.

I envy you the pool,  however if she decides to jump in this  - could she easily get out herself?

15 hours ago, wolfpup said:

I envy you the pool,  however if she decides to jump in this  - could she easily get out herself?

She sure can. I have been doing LOTS of training with the pool. Where ever I put her in, she ALWAYS swims to the steps and gets herself out :) such a clever girl. I must say she is picking up on stuff pretty quickly now. With the training I am doing, within 2 days she is pretty onto it. Real impressed. 

15 hours ago, robke said:

just remember that at that age 5 min of exercise per month of age is recommended, not per day but every time you take the pup out

Yeah, I have also read up about that.

So would that mean if I was to take her out 2 or 3 it would be say 15 mins every time? how do you know if you are exercising them too much? I feel like she gets a lot of exercise jumping and playing around with our other dog as well. 

Archived