Genetics of Huskies

ShyLoh

I am asking as I am curious on what my potentially pregnant husky could give us for colours and eyes in her pups. And I am curious about genetics in general. It is too early for us to know for sure if she is pregnant or not and she will be going in for an ultrasound when she is far enough along. Both parents are purebred, registered Siberian huskies. Health tested, etc. 

Sire is a grey and white with brown eyes. I do not know any information on what Colour his parents were. He has produced grey/white, black/white and red/white puppies from different litters  with both blue and brown eyes. (I do not own the sire). 

My girl is grey and white with blue eyes. She comes from a red/white mom and a pure white dad both with blue eyes. Her mother’s parents where black/white and blue eyes and red/white with yellow/green parti eyes. I do not know what her grandparents on her sires side were. This will be her first litter. 

my question is what can she potentially produce? I am aware that she will most likely give a mixture of brown and blue eyed pups, even bi-eyed pups. I am curious if there is some predictability with coat colour due to genetics (Like her producing all grey pups), or if it will be completely random. 

Disclaimer I could not care less about what she actually produces as all pups resulting from this litter are potentially spoken for. I thought it would just be fun to learn more about genetics while I wait. 

Its a lottery  -  based on millions of tiny proteins on a gnome housing hundreds of thousands of tiny proteins.   The only suggestion I can give  is  ................... wait and see.    If you really wanted some idea you would have to speak to a genetisist - and as far as I know even they could only give you an approximation.

Archived