Spaying me little bad girl. not sure if I should do it.

Lola_Dubai

Hello Husky Parents,

I have a beautiful little girl husky. at the moment she is in her 1st season and she is doing pretty well except that we cannot go for long walkies for 4 weeks 😞 

I have been said by the vet to spay her ASAP as she will have a lot of health issues in future. I have seen over the web that spaying will have even more health issues. there are so many articles and blogs that are so confusing and I cannot decide if I should to do it or not.

I love her to the bits and cannot see her going through unnecessary pain. In my small little mind I think why should I spay her if this has natural. 

Would love some honest opinion from the forum to make a correct decision for my girl. 

Thanks Dijendra Hegde  

It is really a matter of preference for the individual owner.   I am against spaying/neutering   - particularly under the age of 2 years old.   It has been proven that spaying too early - whilst it does reduce the unwanted dog population  from accidental mating  -  does cause issues.   One of the main things is that it interferes with the growth plates in a growing puppy  -   the sex hormones control more than just the sex drive.    This can lead to ill fitting joints  - elbow and hip displaysia - in older dogs as well as other issues.

I understand that it is far more difficult for the owners of a female dog  (I have only ever had males)  - but would ask you to consider at least waiting until your beautiful little girl is 2 years old.   At least by then she will have stopped growing.      One of my rescued  boys was already neutered before I got him  but my other boy is still intact  - they are now five years old.

NOT saying your vet is amongst this genre - but many vets push early spaying/neutering on health grounds (working on your guilt) -  when really it is  more a case of  income/tradition/thinking of the over population of dogs running around loose etc.     Modern vetinary science is now acknowledging that spaying too early also causes its own problems.    Can I ask you a question please   - would you consider spaying your 1 year old baby girl   -  or waiting until she is fully grown so she could have the benefit of the hormones she would have had/ should have had.

@wolfpup I am definitely not considering spaying her at all. I told the vet that she is my little girl the over population of dog is a human error and I will not let my little girl go through pain because of my stupidity. Looking after her and caring her during her heat period is my responsibility and I will do it. but I have noticed that almost all the vet do insist on spaying your fur babies before 1 year of age. 

I just wanted a genuine and honest opinion. I knew by not spaying her I made a right call but just wanted to make sure. 

thank you for your feedback and advice.  

1 hour ago, Lola_Dubai said:

@wolfpup I am definitely not considering spaying her at all. I told the vet that she is my little girl the over population of dog is a human error and I will not let my little girl go through pain because of my stupidity. Looking after her and caring her during her heat period is my responsibility and I will do it. but I have noticed that almost all the vet do insist on spaying your fur babies before 1 year of age. 

I just wanted a genuine and honest opinion. I knew by not spaying her I made a right call but just wanted to make sure. 

thank you for your feedback and advice.  

I hope you and your beautiful girl have many happy and healthy years ahead of you.

Archived