I have a 1 year and 2 months old siberian husky/ malamute mix named Blu. About 2 months ago he had seizure, then again 3 weeks later, and finally another last night, which is roughly 3 weeks after his previous fit. I'm 18 and have no car, job(or a way to get to one), and I live with my single mother who barely gets by.. my point being, Blu has been fed processed kibble his whole life which mostly contains zinc sulfate. He is only experiencing 1-2 symptoms of zinc deficiency ( seizures and maybe chronic digestive issues). I was wondering if anyone has personally fixed this and how can I on a budget?? Please, I love him to death and his fits are absolutely unbearable to watch, so any help is much appreciated. 

I've only called the vet about this and they said zinc deficiency is rare and it's most likely epilepsy...  but I guess they're only dismissive because they haven't run any tests on him

Has he shown any signs of scabby sores around his eyes or mouth?   This is one of the most reliable signs of zinc deficiency.

I did reply to your post in my thread about Marley and his seizures.

It is more likely that he is reacting to the kibble  -  chronic digestive issues are more likely to be caused by his food and sensitivities.   Can you tell us exactly what is going on with his digestive issues   - it is obviously even more difficult for us than it is for a vet  that has not seen & examined your pup.  We are not vet trained!

Marley started with bouts of chronic runs,  stools turning black,  and vomiting clear - yellow bile fluids  -  this eventually turned into bloody bile  - which is when he went to the vet  ............ and it was nearly too late.

You are correct in that zinc sulphate is extremely hard on the stomach.   However the seizures will manifest only at the end stage of zinc deficiency as I understand it.

zincdeficiencyinsleddogs.pdf    You have probably already downloaded this from my thread  - but if not it will help.

Please refer to your previous post and my answer there  -  I will help in any way I can  -  but really he needs blood tests done  - A) for deficiencies  B.  for allergies.

I can help you to cheaply improve his diet  - but cannot give any guarantees obviously that it will help his condition   - no-one can improve a condition if they don't know what the condition is in the first place.

Archived