How much water should my 8-weeks old husky drink??

VFranco

My husky puppy was drinking loads of water (almost 1L per day) and consequently peeing a lot which make it kind of harder to potty trainning him (I'm not exagerating when I say he pees as much as 10 times per day; sometimes he pees a couple of minutes after having already peed on the patio). A couple of days ago I decresed the amount of water available per day to almost half but he keeps bittng the plate asking for more and as soon as I pour some into it (trying to put 100-150ml at a time), he drinks it all at once. Is that normal???

Necessary to mention that the only exercise he gets is 1-2  15min indoors playing sessions per day (partly because he isn't fully vaccinated yet - he has only the first shot and the second coming on May 5th- and partly because of the lockdown due to COVID) which I understand is not a lot of excersice as to demand that much water. At the beginning I thought it was normal to drink a lot of water in order to keep himself hydrated as he had diarrhea for a couple of days and had to take medicine for almost a week; but now the diarrhea is gone and although his poop is still a bit loose, I assume he's not loosing loads of water through stools.

Temperature is not a factor either. I rmoved to Mexico City right before the lockdown and the weather is not as hot (50-80° F) and I'm sure the termic sensation within my flat is lower that that.

Any insight???

Cheers.

thumbnail_IMG_20200419_024955.jpg

I leave water bowls out for mine, even as pups, and they drink when they want it, if you’re concerned take him to the vet, if you’re feeding kibble he’ll need to drink a lot. I wouldn’t deprive him of water to try to limit peeing as pups pee often, start training him where to pee. Dehydration kills dogs quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• 1 month later...

My huskies - both of them 10 weeks old. We were giving them as much water as their weight (as suggested by certain reputable websites): 1 oz per pound of body weight. Last week, when we went to the vet, we were told to give as much water as needed. Also, they were given deworming medications. Since then, I notice that during the day, there is a particular hour when they constantly pee in their crates.. sometimes as often as 10 times within a span of 60 minutes. The urine is almost clear. They stop after that time - meaning going back to once every 2 hours like they are used to.

Could this be because of the medication? Or is it just excessive water intake? I plan to call the vet tomorrow anyways, since it is concerning. :(

Archived