Leaky Gut/IBS

2Huskyfun

Have any of you looked at your dogs 💩 and scratched your head and went 🤷🏻‍♀️? Has your dog ever vomited randomly in the middle of the night or early morning? Was your response O dogs will be dogs, dogs have random diarrhea and vomit sometimes? Does your pup scratch a lot? Sometimes there is no scratching and then all of a sudden it is a chewing/scratching fit? 

If your answers were yes to these then hopefully this will help.

Here is some information that your vet either does not know or does not want to tell you.

*Not all vets are bad. I love my vet and are personal friends with a few. So don’t take this wrong.*

Leaky gut starts when they are baby babies. (Pure breeds have a higher chance of developing this, but all breeds can get it) It also can develop in older dogs. Rare but is being seen.

When mom stops feeding her babies, humans assume it’s time to put them on kibble. It is like giving a 6 month old human baby a steak! Their stomachs are not able to break it down. It does not allow the flap to fully close. This causes them 1st to not get the nutrition they need 2nd the food is put into the bloodstream and the body thinks it is under attack 3rd because the immune system is thinking it is under attack it causes the pups to get sick and catch any cold or sickness it is exposed to 4th this is where food allergies and intolerances are developed 5th the stomach does not have enough stomach acid to digest food or has to much 6th because their tummies always hurt and they feel hungry and they constantly eat everything (even foreign objects) to get anything in their stomachs to make it stop! 

Allergies/intolerance- itching, chewing, red skin, hives, rash, watery eyes and nose. Stool puppy soft but still has shape to brown swampy water,  burping and flatulence.

That was the basic look at what is going on inside them. Now what we do as humans at this stage.

Most dog owners (not their fault they don’t know this!) Have a dogs will be dogs attitude. They ignore the early symptoms. Ignoring symptoms causes- IBS, stomach ulcers, stomach cancer,  pancreatitis, gallbladder issues, and heartburn. 

OR

Pick up on something is not right. Run all kinds of test. Vet tells you they cannot put their finger on it but here is a bunch of meds (there are no long term meds that will fix this- more on what these meds will do to your babies) and prescription dog food. (Which is crap food and will make your dog with IBS worse!)

My pet insurance contacted me on Monday advising me I am hitting my $10,000 mark for this year. We are only 8 months into this cycle. 🥴😵. I will be posting the steps I have been taking. Hopefully this will help someone not to spend 💰💰💰 and keep your babies from going through stressful test that are not needed!!!

So first things first.... If mom is truly refusing to feed the babies they need to be put on a formula or blended low ingredient can food until 3 months of age. (Stay with siblings until at least 3 months) No kibble and even can if not blended completely will still cause this.

I got my two at 7 weeks. 1st diarrhea. Random then constantly. They were sick with kennel cough,  pneumonia, and everything else you can think of. 2nd eating foreign objects Uggg 3rd random vomit between late at night through early morning. 3rd itching non stop. Sometimes eating holes in his self. There was no rhyme or reason. No pattern. Would go a few weeks with no symptoms. Then all hell would break loose.

So the first thing you think you should address is food allergies/intolerance. Yes it helps calm symptoms but until the actual cause is addressed it will never end or improve. It is about $600 per test here. And vets will tell you it is not 100% and  Allergies can change every 6 months or so. Sooo I did/do my own food trials. 

Then there is meds and  prescription food. Meds ( antibiotics) destroys their stomach. *my vet has advised me to never put my pups on antibiotics again (unless it is life or death) or have them vaccinated again or have them  put under or sedated (unless life or death) EVERYTHING is to be treated Holistic* All I can say about prescription dog food is read the ingredients.... but for IBS they cannot have anything heavily processed. It does the opposite of what they need. Prescription dog food is chemicals and synthetic.

**The only test needed is a full panel bloodwork up done**

For example: my boy does not make Vitamin B at all. His stomach liner gets so thick you can feel it when you touch his stomach. No charge for tummy rubs. (You could get an MRI of their stomach if you are in very early stage or not in a flare up) he also does not produce stomach acid, has no good bacteria, and does not break fat down. 🤦🏽‍♀️

With his bloodwork, food allergy/intolerance test I have done, and weight. The vet,  nutritionist, and myself have came up with a full recovery plan.

*there is no cure for this but the quality of life can improve and stop further complications*

Step one: anti inflammatory. Lots of fish. HOWEVER, the tummy has to be healed first before giving bones!

*check with vet for your dosage! My girl does not show symptoms but is also going on this*

My previous meals that I have posted (I was advised are good for when the gut is healed) 

This is the meal for healing their gut.

In a crockpot 

Wild Boar-or any lean meat

Kale-switch with spinach to give variety 

Butternut squash-switch with pumpkin 

celery

Turkey or chicken or beef liver 1/4 oz a day

Before serving add

Apple Cider vinegar 1 tablespoon per meal

Ground Ginger 1 teaspoon per meal

Sardine in olive oil 1/4 per meal

Beef heart raw just a sliver

Apple 1/4 no skin- switch with banana 

Nutritional yeast 1 teaspoon per meal.

Respiratory Tea: sleepry elm and Marshmallow root. Boil tea, should make 24 or 36 oz. 1/2 cup over everything (make sure it has cooled)- I couldn’t find the tea so I use capsules. Check with your vet for dosage.

As the gut heals:

will add fish-goal is an all fish diet.

up sardines -goal is two a day. 

IBS is misdiagnosed a lot. Unfortunately we have an extremely high diagnosis here but are too late. By the time it is figured out they are in a life and death fight.

This is something that can be managed and easily. 

Thank You @wolfpup for putting me on the right track at the beginning. ❣️

I hope this helps someone and saves money.

Great post.     Really glad I was able to help in a small way   -   but you are the one who did your research and ran with it  - kudos to you.

Fresh sardines and herrings contain all the vitamins and minerals there are  -  and because they are a prey-fish  they do not pick up the toxins from other fish  like salmon, cod etc.    If you do feed  predator-fish  -  dont feed them the skin  -  that's where fish store the majority of the toxins they pick up from the sea and other (prey) fish.

Going back thousands of years fish have been the majority of a husky's diet  -    some scientists think that is why huskies have such a high zinc requirement.

I am starting them on 1/4 of a Sardine (the head) right now. They are boneless and skinless. The goal is 2 Sardines a day. Then slowly adding muscle type fishes with no bones like calamari and muscles stuff like that. Boiled and giving the broth only at first.

Because of his extremely low stomach acid I am not able to give him bones yet. (Which like you have said, is where a lot of the  nutrients is 😁) I am also not able to give him fats. Organ meat is also an issue. Starting with a very small slice. We are using the Apple Cider to act like stomach acid. 

Once he has his own stomach acid then we can add fun good stuff.

Archived