Chewing, please help

HuskyMom206

My 3 year old husky has recently developed the habit of chewing up the inside of my car. He’s destroyed a steering wheel & 3 seatbelts. I keep him seatbelted in, and have a gate, and it doesn’t seem to matter how short of a time period he is in the car. I’m considering a muzzle to just keep him from chewing while in the car. Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any success stories with muzzles? Any help would be appreciated. 

So he has to ride in the second row or passenger seat, and you have no "cargo area"?

If you have a cargo area, they sell these really nifty gates that fasten in and keep your dog from coming up to the second row or driver's row of the car. 
Some are really strong and meant for Police K9s, if your dog is a very determined one! 
My dog isn't destructive, but I just got tired of coming out and finding him in the driver's seat of the car and having to reload him every time...

I don't see why a muzzle wouldn't work? Except in some muzzles they can not pant as well, so they have more risk of overheating?

I basket muzzled trained my two. ER vet recommended it after our third ER visit for eating stuff.

Works great. Now I just carry it and they know.

I would recommend a car crate if one fits in your car though.

This is how I trained them:

Put something yummy  smeared on the end, let him lick it without clasping it a few times. Once he is comfortable with it, then clasp it for just a few at a time.

Then I picked a command (sound) that was only used for no chew, showed the muzzle, if they continued then I would muzzle. Only keeping it on until they stopped showing interest in the object.

C707240D-48CA-40C0-AE76-8AB5612206FE.thumb.jpeg.cfc3c63b0057dba900935a496e783a6d.jpeg

I think they were 6 months here. Had to muzzle on walks because they scooped everything up; glass, plastic,  batteries, you name it they ate it. 🤣

Archived