Is my husky puppy skinny?

Kkkkkkkk

Hi ,so i have a 3 month puppy and he looks  skinny meaning you can easily feel  his ribs. i asked 3 different vets while only 1 of them told me he should gain more  weight , at frist he used to skip most of hes  eating routine because hes a  picky eater later on i changed hes food to orjien  which he seems to like it so a win for me .He is growing At a rate of  500grams each 2 weeks, 2 weeks ago he was 5.6 and this week he is 6.5 . I just want some tips from someone who has experienc about this wonderful breed 

IMG_20181024_071306.jpg

IMG_20181023_075632.jpg

IMG_20181027_191804.jpg

He looks fine to me from the pics, been a while since I've had a pup but I know usually so long as you can feel the ribs and not see them then they're a good weight , they should have a nice layer of fat over them but not so much that you have to really feel for them and not so little that you can dip a finger between each one

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Huskies don’t eat as much as regular dogs. There was a post regarding this that has some great information. I think it was within the last month (I believe it was called) How much to feed.

I made the mistake of thinking my pups were too skinny. Spent a lot of money on vet bills and had them on every med possible, to just find out I was over feeding. Over feeding them will defeat the purpose because they just pooped all the calories out. LOL

I have always had a rule of thumb.

Have them stand up and look straight down at the back. They should have a smooth waste line. See the shape of the ribs but no indent between ribs and no hip bone showing. Because these guys have more hair, maybe look when he is wet.

At that age mine only gained 4 pounds over a 4 to 6 week period. Then at 6 months my female shot up in weight and then now at 8 months my male has shot up. 

Mine went through  growing spurt. There would be no gains and then all of a sudden they would grow.

Keep an eye on the stool. If it is soft/ little runny try cutting back on the food. After a day it should be back to sold. If not have a vet check him out. But they will let you know how much they want or can handle. 

2 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Huskies don’t eat as much as regular dogs. There was a post regarding this that has some great information. I think it was within the last month (I believe it was called) How much to feed.

I made the mistake of thinking my pups were too skinny. Spent a lot of money on vet bills and had them on every med possible, to just find out I was over feeding. Over feeding them will defeat the purpose because they just pooped all the calories out. LOL

I have always had a rule of thumb.

Have them stand up and look straight down at the back. They should have a smooth waste line. See the shape of the ribs but no indent between ribs and no hip bone showing. Because these guys have more hair, maybe look when he is wet.

At that age mine only gained 4 pounds over a 4 to 6 week period. Then at 6 months my female shot up in weight and then now at 8 months my male has shot up. 

Mine went through  growing spurt. There would be no gains and then all of a sudden they would grow.

Keep an eye on the stool. If it is soft/ little runny try cutting back on the food. After a day it should be back to sold. If not have a vet check him out. But they will let you know how much they want or can handle. 

Thank you so much . Good to know im not the only one who went through that phase of vet bills and trying to gain the puppy more weight 

Archived