Anyone from the UK use a Scooter

Onceuponadime

Hi, 

I've seen a few paw trekkers for sale. I take my boy out twice a day for a walk but I'm think of getting a pawtrekker to take him on a few runs. I can't run hence why I'm thinking of a scooter. Just wondering if anyone uses one, what age when they started to use one and how long til they managed to train up. Also any good points or bad in using them. 

arounf 18 months is what they say is when they can pull correctly  without the risk of doing damage to bone structure...the command you can off course start anytime and use them while walking...I do every time on every walk...

1 hour ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Shouldn't be used on pavement or roads the ground is too hard for a dogs bones/joints, you would need to find a bridle path or woodland area that you have permission to used it on

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Luckily I live in the country I'm surrounded by bridal paths and I'm within walking distance of two woods. I walk these daily. These apart from horses now and are again are only used by locals so I know I can use one safely with him. It makes a change from just walking and hiking with him. 

1 hour ago, robke said:

but make sure you have permission from land owner and I believe you need insurance in the UK as well...

Bridleways allow bikes on so it won't be a problem as for permissive bridleways good look to anyone trying to find a land owner. I'm not sure why you would need insurance? Cyclists or other people on scooters don't get insured. 

It’s true about insurance, I met someone from Cold Feet racing team at Dog Fest a couple of years ago and they were telling me that you do need insurance in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

If it helps they pointed me in the direction of Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain for advice about insurance

I tried getting Luna to pull my mountain bike along but she will still chase leaves if they blow in front of her and drag me into the bushes, I have been over the handlebars umpteen times. Now I just let her off to run with me, and if she sees that squirrel at least I know I will stay on my bike

10 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

It’s true about insurance, I met someone from Cold Feet racing team at Dog Fest a couple of years ago and they were telling me that you do need insurance in the UK

If it helps they pointed me in the direction of Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain for advice about insurance

Hi,

My dog is a pet not a working dog with a rig. It is for a scooter. I've looked about and the insurance is referring to working dogs. This below is taken from the club site. 

Third Party Insurance cover for working your dogs, which can be obtained independently, or as part of the SHCGB membership.

46 minutes ago, Luna the husky said:

I tried getting Luna to pull my mountain bike along but she will still chase leaves if they blow in front of her and drag me into the bushes, I have been over the handlebars umpteen times. Now I just let her off to run with me, and if she sees that squirrel at least I know I will stay on my bike

I know my dog would do the same. I'm regularly pulled off the path when there are squirrels or hares. 

28 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

IMG_1369.PNG

IMG_1370.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks for that. Basically it depends where you go. Obviously I would not be using a public footpath or a road though I've seen a few videos of people on you tube. I can't see any issue where I live as I live in a rural area. 

Thanks for that. Basically it depends where you go. Obviously I would not be using a public footpath or a road though I've seen a few videos of people on you tube. I can't see any issue where I live as I live in a rural area. 

I was told that if you crashed into someone you would would need to be covered by public liability insurance, or if for example you came across horse riders and there was an accident involving them. I didn’t end up getting a scooter so I didn’t look into it any more than that. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

You can run them on a scooter on the beach, never on tarmac as it can burn their pads, when I was looking to get insurance for my 2 the general consensus was to get public liability insurance just for having sibes, in case they manage to escape and because they just run regardless of what’s in their way, car accidents have been caused, livestock killed and we as owners are liable. The forestry commission operate a permit system but they’ll insist on a substantial amount of third party insurance cover for working your dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived