Aggressive Brat

Ash

I have a 10 month old husky who has an aggression problem. She’s always been with other dogs, she’s one of ten from her litter and the only time she wasn’t exposed was from six weeks old to eight weeks old. We have two other dogs in the house the same age as her but a different breed and much smaller. Aspen has on several occasions outright lunged and attacked the one dog. We have them both in training but yet each time I think she’s getting better she suddenly lunges. 

Does anyone have any tips? This is primarily a problem in the living room. They pass each other in the kitchen and no problems occur. She also doesn’t seem to have an issue with the third dog, it’s just the smallest one.

We have been to two different trainers to try and sort this out. Are there any suggestions?

Are they both girls ? Are any of them in or coming into season? Any toys in the living room? Are they usually allowed in the living room? Are any of them protective of you?

Also instead of a trainer I'd look into a behaviourist instead

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Just some points I've  picked and use today..

Good points raised & given.
Distraction, de-sensitisation, repetition over and over.
My girl is dog reactive (negatively) to other dogs (not my friend's mini Yorkies though) and (positively) to some other dogs but after slow intro with muzzle + lead, in secure off lead meets, just walking around, meeting, sniffing, seeing all (most off lead now!) And being discouraged to interact aggressively too; then, lead off (muzzle on);  once settled, lead on, muzzle off, walking round much more relaxed, & she's now meeting same furkids again.
They all have harnesses for easy grabbing just in case.... then the lead is off.
If any scrap starts (by any of them, everyone yells 'Oi!' which pretty much stops them instantly. 😃😁
 So, just going into town, walking the high steet, both sides, meeting and greeting folk esp those who want to (and ask) come and fuss, but also settling down outside a cafe or Costa.. and there IS much less reacting to other dogs (usually smaller but yappy too) walking by.
My boy whines but is restrained.
My girl IS improving, and I expect a few more months & continued repitition is in order, with at least one or two weekly visits.
It takes time.
And trust from yours that not everything smaller is either a threat or for defensive->attack behaviour. 
Praise when she turns to you with reward (distract behaviour by you)

30 reps over 30 days and renew / repeat on a regular basis. 🤗

Also.. 

Read it. Download e-Book - free.

Discourage by removing from your company. 
Walk them out of the room on a lead into another room to be alone for a couple of minutes.
Bring back out & observe.  If the dominance starts again ... repeat - into solitary....
Back and forth..  When it stops - say 'Good pup no bite'.

Remove immediately if it starts ANY undesirable behaviour .. into another room - close the door. 2-3 minutes until quiet. Bring back.
Start as you mean to go on.  Training from day one. 🤗

www.successdogs.com and look up Lewis Nicholls, on fb 🤗

Trainers are great for the basics sit, learning to walk in a lead etc but for what you are experiencing as Nix said a behaviourist would be better. They can assess the triggers, I had a behaviourist round from my local rescue and he was brilliant and not expensive either! 

As Rachael's mentioned, look for the trigger(s) - there's always at least one: jealousy, wanting toy, particular movement, being surprised by something, time of day (close to mealtimes/walk), etc

I have a reactive male and he used to growl at other dogs when we’d pass by, he’d see a dog in the distance and he’d be changing his stance and totally focus on the dog in the distance. It was a real problem then we had a few sessions with a behaviourist, it was the best thing I did for Luka blue. We worked on the exercises that she gave us daily and I noticed a difference in his behaviour within the week, small changes at first but I kept up with the training and he’s a different dog now, we walk with no growling, he’s alert if other dogs growl first but it’s not very often he reacts. A behaviourist is money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived