Free on-line documentary course - The truth about pet cancer

wolfpup

https://thetruthaboutpetcancer.com/

https://thetruthaboutpetcancer.com/quiz/?a_aid=5a6ab4b31543d&a_bid=c939a7fc

The second link is for a 1 minute long quiz which shows the risk of your dog getting cancer      -    the first link is a description of the course  -  with a link to sign up for it  (I signed up last week).   I've been getting the Vital Animals newsletters for around a year now.

My two boys came in the lower category   (lowest risk, lower risk, higher risk, highest risk)  -  for the sake of a minute I think it might be worth answering the questions.  I now know where I can lower my boys risk even further

The event begins on Wednesday April 4th, 2018 at 9PM EST.    However each episode is up for 24 hours for those of us not in the USA.

With cancer rates now 1 in 1.65 dogs  it can't hurt to at least give it a try.

The quiz results came back as "higher" for how we raise our puppies. That's scary and sure makes you think.
Here are our family dogs' history and lifespans (past and present).
They've all been indoor/outdoor dogs, get annual vaccines, eat healthy, exercised, get spoiled and receive tons of LOVE!![emoji171]
~TINKER--CockerSpaniel (7yrs)/Kidney Stone & Died in Surgery (1958-1965)[emoji304]
~TINKER II--BlackShepherd (14yrs)/Old Age (1965-1979)[emoji304]
~B.J.-- Airedale (6yrs old)/Unknown Death (1979-1985)[emoji304]
~KANANI--GermanShepherd (15yrs)/Pneumonia (1985-2000)[emoji304]
~ARNOLD--BlackLabrador (14yrs)/Intestinal Cancer (1986-2000)[emoji304]
~APOLLO--Chow/Samoyed (14yrs)/Brain Cancer/Seizure (2002-2016)[emoji304]
~MINDY--BlackLabrador (6yrs) Rescued/Bone Cancer (2011-2017)[emoji304]
[emoji847]~KAIMANA--Samoyed (almost 18yrs old!! Sweet as ever!!) (2000-Present)[emoji120]
[emoji847]~ARMANI--SibeHusky (2.1yrs old and sweet, wild & crazy) (2016-Present)[emoji120]
[emoji847]~ALINAH--SibeHusky (1.5yrs old and sweet, wild & crazy) (2016-Present)[emoji120]
*I PRAY FOR ALL DOGS TO HAVE GREAT HEALTH, HAPPINESS, SAFETY & LONGEVITY. ALL DOGS DESERVE THE UTMOST BEST LIFE POSSIBLE FROM ALL OF US.
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji171][emoji252][emoji171][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

My list - going backwards in time:

Marley  2yrs - going strong

Lunar  13 yrs  still going strong against the odds.

Socks & Angel  two moggies  -  went to the vet with my dog and came back with my dog and two cats  - that was 12 years ago  -  vet guessed their age at around 18 months at the time so would put them around 13 1/2.   Neither cat has seen the vet since. 

Cane - rescued at 10 years old (owner had gone to prison) - rescued the day before he was due to be put to sleep by The Oldies Club in the Norwich area -   died 15 yrs old  -   he had an operation for a highly aggressive cancer in his nut sack  -  they got it all out they thought - but 12 months or so later his legs gave out.   He  lived to run so I had no choice.

Louie, borzoi - 12 yrs 8 months  (very good age)  - the breeder came to me when he was 6 weeks old and said either I take him or he would put him down as he was not 'show grade'   -  his mother had  died of bloat the day before so I took him at 6 weeks old.   He went down one day and just refused to get up but nothing apparently wrong -  he died at home with a big piece of chocolate in his mouth  - not caring what the vet was doing.

Bernie  14 yrs old  spaniel crossed with something   rescued at 4 years old

Kia - Bernie's father - rescued at the same time  - assumed to be 2 years older than Bernie,  Kia went blind suddenly (within two weeks) and could not cope so we did the hard thing when he was around 12 yrs old

Benson  - 4 yr old rescued greyhound - RSPCA did not want us to take him - they said he only had about a week to live  - he was left in a cage to starve to death  -  he developed villus atrophy  (bowel was dying) at around 10 yrs - only producing squirty stools (which was 'inconvenient' as at the time we owned a hotel)  -  we left the decision up to the vet  -  but at 12 1/2 he developed a lump on his ankle & the vet called 'time'.

Sapphire,   persian cat,  12 yrs old  found dead one morning under the bed  - no reason found.   The vet 'thought' it might be kidneys.

Tramp, (cat) was attacked by a dog - taken to RSPCA who spayed her whilst she was pregnant.  I got her with massive infected bites like volcanoes on the sides and legs.   I took her straight to my vet  -  who said "if she is still alive tomorrow bring her back".    I walked out of there and never went back.   No idea how old she was but she died 6 years later.

Grace,  rescued,  no eyes,  the RSPCA removed her eyes after she was found wandering around with dreadfully ulcerated eyes.    No one would take on a blind cat.  I took her,  but a  month or so later she started walking around in circles  -  the abcesses had gone through the optic nerves and into her brain.   The vets could do nothing.

Dusty, seal point persian cat,  she chose me - literally,  I was terrified of cats.   My friends were persian breeders, but they had to put all the cats out of the house when I went round.  I called in unexpected one day and walked into their kitchen  - my first sight of her was standing in a Yorkshire Pudding tin - tearing off bits and eating it (Garfield was her role model).  She took one look at me and walked around the kitchen work-surface - stopped in front of me, looked at me intently, and then crawled up on to my shoulders.    Her owners were astounded - as she had always avoided contact with anyone - even them when she had the chance.    They said that they had a buyer for her (champion breeding female)  -  but that they would give her to me - she had decided I was 'worthy' of her.     Normal lifespan 13 yrs  -  she died at 21 years and 7 months after a stroke.

None of my animals have ever had vaccinations apart from Louie and Marley (puppy ones only).

Wow, that's a big history of dogs & cats through the years. You guys are wonderful people for taking in all the dogs and cats at different times!! And the cat being over 21yrs old, that's incredible!![emoji847] What great longevity w/the dogs/cats because of you, your care and love!![emoji847][emoji171]
I honestly believe "love" is a key factor in an animal's lifetime, even if they had a poor start in life. That's why rescuing/adopting is so great because we just extended their health and lives. Along with great care, attention, healthy food and love.
Though some dogs/cats have health problems beyond our control, at least they have love.
(I forgot to mention, I treat my two dogs year around with Flea & Tick prevention and HeartGard prevention. I always worry about that stuff causing cancer, but the prevention is greater to me so they don't get heartworm. I do give them a MultiVitamin and Probiotic daily.)

Ok, I took the quiz again. This time I scored in the "lower range" or second level.
I answered that we do not use lawn fertilizers, though we don't fertilize in the backyard only because of the dogs. (The first time taking the quiz, I had answered that we did use fertilizer, but made a mistake, because we only fertilize in the front yard only where the dogs never go.)
I felt a bit better now!!
Thank you for providing information on this subject.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

I got higher risk for mine. I kind of had an inkling after the first 3 questions that it wasn’t going to fair too well (what kind of food do you feed, how often do you use air fresheners and how long is your WiFi on for). 🤦🏼‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I'm wary about reading too much into this type of information, genetics has a large part to play in what can cause cancer as well of course as lifestyle factors. I personally wouldn't get too caught up in it. There's a lot bad things we do and feed to our dogs and I know there are more things I could do to help my fur baby but some things aren't always practical for me and I know there are dogs (probably majority) who eat cheap poorly made dog food
Just my two cents

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I know I am at the other end of that scale - and I firmly believe we all do what we think is right and what we can for our fur-babies - within our own specific circumstances and philosophies.    Each to our own, - and 'viva la difference'.

However, personally, I would rather have the information - and then do further research on my own, and then make up my mind - than not have access to the information in the first place.   This is probably a result of my working background  -  from nursing at the beginning of my working career to lecturing at the end of it.   I've been involved with researching for 90% of my working life in one form or another. 

Archived