My husky is afraid of my boyfriend

Rachel Chapman

So I surprised my boyfriend with a seven month old husky named Taz for Christmas. He was so excited at first but now he is sad and upset because the dog never lets him near. I think Taz was abused by his previous owner because he always cowers and runs away. I have a 5 year old border collie and they are getting along great. The biggest issue is that Taz has not peed or pooped outside in the 7 days that we have had him and it’s driving us both nuts. We take him out on a regular schedule and do all we can but he just doesn’t understand. And my boyfriend is convinced that his dog just hates him. Please help me I really don’t want to get rid of him.

time and patience is in my opinion the only answer here... My Alpha is afraid of a lot of people and specific kids from ages 3 to 10 it takes him a good 30 mins to an hour to come to them and if they make a sudden movement he is gone again... and yes he had been abused for the first 1,5 years of his life and still it is in him...

the dog does not know what hate is...it is just scared and unless you know exactly what has gone on in the first 7 months of his life you will not know ever...

it is a great adjustment for any dog to get used to changes in its life but give it time and love and you will see a difference but this will not happen overnight give  it time...and truck loads of patience (not available in any shop)...but when it does happen you will have a dog that loves you unconditionally....

Just do not give up on him....

Hi and welcome
Do you know his history? Maybe he hasnt been toilet trained and you’ll need to go back to basics, reward him when he does go outside
It can take a few months for him to settle in, if he’s been abused he will be very wary and needs lots of space, time and patience you need to let him come to you on his terms, is he food driven? Treats may help and your boyfriend will need to be calm and quiet around him and build up his trust
Hope you get this sorted, have you any pics of him?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Huskies can be quite aloof too, Amy came to us at 9months, she had no fear issues but has got separation anxiety, its taken her 10 months to really show us much affection, always on her terms when she feels like it but when she does its just the best feeling!!
Hang in there

Please don't give up on him, I was in a similar situation with my female husky Ava, I adopted her to be a companion for myself and our older male husky after loosing my other two females, Ava was 12 months old at that time...she was deathly afraid of men, and yes we had to go through the whole potty training thing again, it can be frustrating to say the least but they need time to acclimate to their new surroundings it took a couple of months for her to realize that this was going to be her forever home, and with consistent training she  learned that she was not supposed to potty in the house! I'm not going to lie it took her about a year before she trusted my husband enough to go near him but she was still leery, she watched as he interacted with the other dogs and came to realize that he was not going to hurt her, now she snuggles up to him every chance she gets, it is so rewarding to adopt a dog, that the rescue said could not be shown in their adoption events because she was so afraid, and watching her blossom into a confident amazing dog...You can do this, it just takes time a patience and the reward of a husky's love is so worth the effort and time you put in!!

It’s just so frustrating because the dog has not pottied outside at all since we god him in 8 days and he does not like treats and I can barely tout him him without cowering, he always waits until we are gone or asleep to pee so I’m not sure how to stop this behavior. I bought puppy pads and placed them in the areas he had peed before and he just ripped them up.

he is frightend alright...try different treats ie. carrots, small bits of cheese, or high value bits of dried chicken... anything that you can think of he has not had before...you need to try and find something that he has not had before.. mine it was dried tribe...

Rachel, believe me when I say I know the frustration, just hang in there I promise it gets better...have you taken him to see the vet yet? I would if you haven't just to make sure there is no medical issue...when you take him outside are you taking him to a designated place where you want him to go potty? Also what food are you feeding and what kind of treats have you tried?

Well said advice from everyone!!
When your puppy potties ([emoji90]) in the house, take the stool outside in the grass and keep it laying there. Then take your puppy out and say "let's go potty." Your puppy should smell his own [emoji90] and realize his own poo is outside. PRAISE puppy every time he potties outside. (I trained my dog in a day & a half taken him out to potty every 30-45mins and it worked!) Also, our second Husky we adopted, I believe she was abused. She would cower at my husband (he's tall) so he would sit in the grass with both my dogs. I told him to move calmly and no sudden movements and keep sitting on the floor/grass. It worked and she has really come around with him!!
You could also get a large crate/cage for puppy to stay in while your gone. Cages can make them feel secure/safe...you could put a piece of wood over it like a den. Buy some non-edible chew toys to keep your baby occupied some. Plus give it lots of love & reassurance. Everything will work out, you'll see. You are doing great!!
Please do not give up or get rid of your puppy. The REWARD to you is worth every bit of it!!
[emoji4][emoji252][emoji171][emoji177]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

It’s just so frustrating because the dog has not pottied outside at all since we god him in 8 days and he does not like treats and I can barely tout him him without cowering, he always waits until we are gone or asleep to pee so I’m not sure how to stop this behavior. I bought puppy pads and placed them in the areas he had peed before and he just ripped them up.

My pup didn’t like treats at all when I first got her but a cube of ice would get a different response. Give that a try see if ice is more enticing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Olympia7 said:

Rachel, believe me when I say I know the frustration, just hang in there I promise it gets better...have you taken him to see the vet yet? I would if you haven't just to make sure there is no medical issue...when you take him outside are you taking him to a designated place where you want him to go potty? Also what food are you feeding and what kind of treats have you tried?

No we just take him out and walk him around and he acts like he’s on the hunt for something and never takes his nose off the ground but we are feeding him blue diamond like the previous owners fed him, and we have tried milk bone and Ham and sausage, sometimes he will eat it but he does not really get excited or want it.

14 minutes ago, Rachel Chapman said:

No we just take him out and walk him around and he acts like he’s on the hunt for something and never takes his nose off the ground but we are feeding him blue diamond like the previous owners fed him, and we have tried milk bone and Ham and sausage, sometimes he will eat it but he does not really get excited or want it.

Ok, that's a start my dogs never liked milk bones either sometimes you have to try a few different things till you find his favorite, here are some that I've tried and had success with: String cheese, natural balance food rolls, turkey hot dogs (mine always liked these better than regular ones) freeze dried liver treats and the latest ones are the fresh pet sausage links and the fresh pet food roll, I just cut them up and put them in a treat bag that clips to my shirt or pants that way they are handy....as far as walking him around when you take him out, just walk him to the place where you want him to go, and give high praise when he actually uses that area for potty breaks, you can also give him a treat at this point, if he continues to be distracted, just redirect him, by saying hurry up, or go potty whatever you decide to give as a command, I've always used "hurry up" or "tinkle time" he will eventually get it, but you must be consistent....again I know how frustrating it can be, but you can do this!!

He is probably picking up on your frustrations which could be making it worse, dogs respond to body language more than commands
Puppy pads aren't great as they just teach the dog it's ok to pee inside!
Behaviourists aren't always expensive, did you get him from a rescue? If so they should have their own behaviourist who can help. If not, contact your local rescue and they might be able to point you in the right direction. I had a behaviourist from my local rescue come round and it was about £35.
Don't give up on him, you need a lot of patience. Let him come to you, sit with treats and wait for him to come to you. Don't sit too close to him, give him space. It might not happen straight away, it could take days or weeks. He needs to learn he can trust you.
If you let him go it's going to make things even worse for him, when dogs get passed from home to home they trust less and less. Keep on with the routine and it will pay off eventually. Once he trusts you both more things like toilet training will fall into place after that

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Another idea might be to give him an area where he feels safe. A crate is good for this, leave the door open and put a blanket over it so it's like a den for him. He might hide in it a lot at first, but I think it's important for dogs to have their own area to go for a bit of space

Hi, toilet training can be frustrating, Some great advice has been suggested, the only thing I can add is that one of mine won’t poop until 30 mins into his walk, maybe an early morning long walk to get his bowels moving and if he ‘goes’ then lots of praise and maybe a treat he likes. This could have been an issue with the previous owner, as others have already said time and patience is needed, as he’s only 7 months old he’s still learning and with positive reinforced training you should start to see behaviours changing, consistency is key and it won’t happen over night. Once Taz learns to trust you both you will see a difference in him, if only we could fast forward time! I hope you work it out [emoji3]

Great tips and support on here. I LOVE this site!

Why not also try one on one (each of you) in training with him with positive reward.

Building that trust (mutually) plus respect on both sides also builds bonds.

Play time is important too.

If he's food oriented, keep the treats small and sessions to a few minutes. Make him want more ...

Look at www.successdogs.com - free e-Book. CD 'Good Dog Every Day' is also valuable.

Don't give up. Spend time together. Walking out together taking turns on the lead.

If he poops indoors - pick up and deposit outside .. 'be quick / be clean' for #1 / #2.. praise when he goes..

Think positively to that you WANT him to 'go' outside.. and picture it.

I swear mine are telepathic and know to change from one area to only "go" in another when I'd rather they didn't go in a certain place - weird .. but it works for me.

Good luck. Both look at the site so you're both reading off the same page/s. [emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived