Housetraining Problems

Marihanna

So i recently adopted a husky, and we been together for about a week now. He is 18mo old, male, and his previous owner claims he is house-trained. Which seems very likely, as the first and second day he didnt pee in the house at all. But perhaps he was a little scared of the new environment? 

But since then he's been having accidents almost every day, and recently more frequently. In the beginning is was probably my poor schedule managing, but now i would take him to the backyard to pee (his designated place) and he would not let anything out and when we go inside after about 15 mins he would have an accident. 

I read that dogs likes to pee where they pee'd before and enzyme cleaner is a good solution to get the smell off. Which I did, but i think after i started using this he pees in the house even more. (not at same places). I tried startling him when he does it, it kind of worked in the beginning, and now hes not even startled anymore.

I take him on walks too about ~2 hours in total a day. Around the same time, maybe 30mins difference. So i don't think its the result of poor schedule anymore.

My guess it could be indoors territorial marking??? In the first few days, he would not have enough pee to mark most trees on our walk, so he would just lift his leg up and nothing would come out.  Now, he's starting to drink more water (mostly from the toilet, cuz he hates his bowl for some reason), and he would pee a little here a little there on all the trees. So me guess is that he's holding in all this piss for storage, and releases randomly when he cant hold it anymore. But he should know at night that we're not going on another walk till morning, and he should've released himself on the evening walk or when i took him to the backyard before bed. 

Another thing is Urinary infection? I haven't taken him to the vet yet, thinking of going next week. Could it be? 

Any suggestions?

Try a raised water bowl if he's not liking it , it could be he's drinking too much too obviously the more he drinks the more he'll need to pee , does he eat dry food n do u leave it down all day for him? If he eats dry food he'll need to drink more water so if it's left down u can't monitor how much he drinks , or it could be him scent marking his territory , it's hard to say really

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Agree with the raised bowl, one of mine didn't like to bend down to drink from the bowl so I bought a raised one, no problem now.
As regards peeing, I would start from scratch and train him to go outside, you could reward with a treat and lots of praise and I'd restrict which rooms he can go in until he's trained. A trip to the vets a good idea to eliminate any issues, if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived