My "back garden"

BlueWolf

Hello there everyone! The temperatures are rising here far north of Sweden. But the snow is still here. So we're kinda enjoying it for as long as we can. Yesterday I took the drone out and flew it in various locations not far away from where I live. It's always interesting to look at things from a different perspective... and how vastly massive the area is around here. This I consider my back garden, it's just around the corner from my house. It's fun to play in!

There are two shots of me on the snowmobile as well :)

Making that back garden "Husky Proof" might be a tad expensive. . . LOL

Fantastic footage Jos . :click:

4 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Living there with 6 Husky's is my idea of heaven! Enjoyed the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

39 dogs on site here. It's fun, lol.

But you don't need many dogs to enjoy the area. I've seen people with two dogs dogsledding/skijoring across the road and frozen lakes. Sometimes it's just the easier way to go from A to B..

39 wow! I honestly can't think of anything better.

It's a lot of work but at the end of the day totally worth it. During the winter we do dogsled tours, and that's how we get (most) of the money in to pay for it all.

I can imagine, such a privelege to work in that environment. Puts things into perspective for me managing my two.
Could I ask, I often wonder whether the behavioural issues husky owners encounter are because they aren't living in their natural environment. Do you have similar issues with yours?

14 minutes ago, chelseafan said:

I can imagine, such a privelege to work in that environment. Puts things into perspective for me managing my two.
Could I ask, I often wonder whether the behavioural issues husky owners encounter are because they aren't living in their natural environment. Do you have similar issues with yours?

Although the arctic is a nice place for sled dogs, in the end their 'natural environment' is living in a pack. They don't really care where that is located though. The cold winter does give you the advantage to go dogsledding with them and is a really good way for them to burn lots of energy. But in return, when they are not running they have super high energy levels. They can be pet dogs (and I often have one of the dogs of the kennel inside my cabin every few nights), they're not the easiest type of dogs. They are very very attention demanding, lol. They live in the pack and do everything in the pack. That's where they love to be. They howl ten times a day together and all emotions in the kennel seemed to be in sync with all dogs, lol.

Dex used to be very much an indoor dog. But I gave him the option to be outside in the kennel and he seems to really love it. I will take him inside every once in a while but most of the times he refuses to go. So for a dog that really loved being a couch potato that's quite something.

Any behavioural issues you have with a pet husky indoor you'll just have the same outdoor in a kennel in the arctic. We do have a few 'special' dogs here, but we know how to take care of them so it's no issue for us.

Thankyou for that information, really useful to know that behavioural issues aren't linked to the environment they live in. I have joked that they have ADHD, as my sons have, but they're not far off. I count myself lucky with my two, they are a challenging breed but i couldn't imagine life being any different now.

Archived