Keiko isn't well...

So Keiko fell down the stairs last week. She fell down roughly 10 steps her neck appeared to get stuck at the bottom and she flipped over again, she was twitching and had knocked her self out for 20 seconds max we did think she had killed herself. Rushed her to the vets. They of course checked her over. Thankfully she seemed fine. They were more concerned about her back stopping pad she had a heat spot. We were given cream and cone of shame to return in a week for a check up. She seemed fine. However she was sleeping a lot and seemed to be having muscle spasms which she still has it looks like she's shivering but only happens when she's sleeping I tried to film it but didn't show very well.

Then yesterday she started vomiting with just bile she wasn't eating but was drinking. Another trip to the vet where she was given 3 jabs antibiotics, something to settle her stomach and anti nausea. Again very sleepy she went for a walk last night she never pulled which is unusual, my step dad also noticed when she was walking she was crossing her front legs over the other, that did eventually stop. Now tonight another trip to the vets as she was walking crossed legged when her back legs gave way. She still isn't eating and is barely drinking. When she does drink she puts her paw in then her nose takes 2 laps, lays down and sleeps. The vet tonight took bloods and has given electrolytes but she isn't interested. Both the nurse and receptionist noticed how different she was compared to her normal self. Lastly it would appear she has lost 1.5kg in a week. I don't know what to do. The vets don't seem to worried but I am. They said she is alert which is she... when she isn't sleeping. Any ideas? Hopefully this makes sense. 

Did they check for a twisted gut? That's when the stomach flips over, putting a twist in the entrance tube and the exit tube of the stomach. Sometimes if a dog rolls or tumbles, the stomach can flip around causing the twist, and it can be very serious.  Do you have any animal chiropractors in your area? There could be some skeletal or joint misalignment causing pinched nerves. Just some ideas.

We've seen 3 different vets they have all poked and felt around in her abdomen and along her spine. She shows no signs of pain her temperature is on the high side of normal. Nope no chiropractors that I'm aware off. If the bloods come back normal they are thinking of doing x rays.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Neurological damage?  A blow to the head can cause concussion, as you know.  But was wondering if there's a delayed response.  Maybe some cranial inflammation causing some problems? I would have thought the vet would have been straight on it, if that was the case though.  Let's face it, they're the ones with the medical degree, not me. 

Hope you get the bottom of it and Keiko is back to normal soon.  Xx

7 hours ago, Emma said:

Neurological damage?  A blow to the head can cause concussion, as you know.  But was wondering if there's a delayed response.  Maybe some cranial inflammation causing some problems? I would have thought the vet would have been straight on it, if that was the case though.  Let's face it, they're the ones with the medical degree, not me. 

Hope you get the bottom of it and Keiko is back to normal soon.  Xx

I did think that as well but she said she would have shown symptoms before now =[ she did the neurological test of folding her paws over and she did put them back so I'm stumped. She just seems so weak. 

2 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

It sounds to me like she needs an X-ray! I hope they get to the bottom of it soon, keep persisting if you don't think something is right. I hope she is better soon

Yeah i'm hoping if the blood work doesn't show anything that will be the next step. Wish they could talk.

• Like 1

I've managed to get a few videos of the muscle twitching/spasms. Any ideas as to what's happening she never normally does this btw. It's only started since her fall. We are also having to force water into her via syringe. I have 3 videos if you need more.

MOV_0013.mp4

Has the vet checked pupils for reaction?  That is one of the first things our vet checks when a dog is not reacting to environment as normal.

3 hours ago, Asslinn said:

I've managed to get a few videos of the muscle twitching/spasms. Any ideas as to what's happening she never normally does this btw. It's only started since her fall. We are also having to force water into her via syringe. I have 3 videos if you need more.

MOV_0013.mp4

Asslinn.  Are the videos on Facebook too?  I can't see it on my iPad. 

Just an update Keiko is now in doggy hospital. They are taking more blood x-rays and possible ultrasound. My vets decided to refer her as she still isn't eating/drinking and her renal blood test was slightly elevated although they told me it was all normal on the first phone call :S (can't wait for my normal vet to come back from holiday). So think she might need extra fluids as we can't force enough water in her.  

1 hour ago, Mazz said:

Has the vet checked pupils for reaction?  That is one of the first things our vet checks when a dog is not reacting to environment as normal.

The hospital vet did and she wouldn't let him shine the light  in them kept rolling her eyes up/down and closing the third eye lid over it. The one eye he managed it with did react. 

Another update the vet has just phoned they did a xray which showed compacted poop they sorted that out. Full bloods were done and the results are

Sodium was 114 (normal range is 140-154)

Potassium was 7.6 (normal range 3.5-5.8) 

Chloride was 88 (normal range 102-117)

With the potassium being so high they then did a ECG which showed changes to her heart so she's had 2 liters of fluid pushed through. Her kidney result has shown changes so will need to be checked again in the morning, They suspect it might be addison disease but need to do further tests before confirming.

She isn't singing them the song of her people yet but after the fluids she seems brighter and is actually sitting up a bit and giving the night staff some attention and the odd kiss. 

I'm actually pretty annoyed by my vets they they didn't take my concerns seriously and only referred because I kept on at them. Once my vet is back I think I shall be having words.

Sometimes you have to take the lead to get some vets to do the right thing. Let's hope things improve from this point.

37 minutes ago, Mazz said:

Sometimes you have to take the lead to get some vets to do the right thing. Let's hope things improve from this point.

LOL yeah Mazz i'm finding that out the hard way, hate to think shes been suffering the last few days :cry1:

Fingers crossed for her. Addison's disease can be nasty but is controlled well with steroidal therapy. They're actually not 100% sure if Bear has a bowel disease or addisons. They think it's the bowel disease but the signs, symptoms and treatment plan is the same either way and we couldn't do the needed blood test to rule out addisons as she couldn't get off the steroids for more than a day before becoming violently ill again. Can't do the test when she's on them as they interfere with the cortisol levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh gosh, I am hoping for the best and an update with some better news soon. Wishing you all the very best 

I saw yesterday that keiko has been confirmed as having Addison's disease and is now on lifetime medication. She'd picked up a lot at the time I'd seen the post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emma said:

I saw yesterday that keiko has been confirmed as having Addison's disease and is now on lifetime medication. She'd picked up a lot at the time I'd seen the post.

Thank you Emma, I didn't get a notification for the thread.

She is sooo much better, her electrolytes are finally within normal levels, so they are weaning her of the iv fluids today, so she's able to come home tonight :woohoo:but we'll need to make trips back and forth until her medication is sorted.  

• Like 3