Husky Crying When Alone

Hello everyone! 

This is Luna, my 4 month old Husky

i've had her from 9 weeks. We always have had a problem with her not liking her cage, we introduced it slowly, gave her dinner in there, treats, gave her her favourite toys in there and it seemed to be going well. But only when we were in the room.. As soon as we leave she whines, even if were only upstairs. She had a few nights where she only cried for a few minutes and would sleep right through, then other nights she would scream for hours and then wake us up screaming early hours, but as soon as she came out she would just go sleep. 

Its very annoying. We thought it might be the cage, which i though ok some dogs dont like cages thats fair enough, so we put her in the kitchen but that hasnt helped at all, same thing.

Its also affecting her toilet training as she gets so worked up she wees, i leave her plenty of toys, a comfy bed, its not to hot and if she is abit hot the floor is really cold. 

Im just abit stuck now not to sure where to go from here, its not just a little whine either its a VERY loud scream, like shes desperate to get out.

Any help? Shes such a lovely dog, shes well behaved on and off the lead, i just cant get her out of this one.

image.jpg

Hi Dylan, welcome to the pack - she's gorgeous! :wub:

Crate training is hard work mentally - for the owner.  I've crate trained 2 of my boys from pups and my rehome we get when he was 18 months old was by far the hardest as he wasn't used to a crate. Patience consistency and time is all you need :)

Start by closing the door walking out and walking straight back in again - get her used to the fact that you leave but come back for her.  They don't have a concept of time, they live in the here and now so you leaving her and going straight back will slowly build up a learned behaviour that you always return.

Gradually increase the time she is alone as well - maybe leave a t shirt with your scent on so she feels safe.  A radio may help as well.  It's hard, but try not to pamper her when you come back if she's been crying "awww good girl i'm sorry i left you" etc will teach her if she cries you come back and fuss her - you want her to learn you come back if she doesn't cry - when she doesn't cry give her loads of praise or a toy / treat

With the off lead - yes she will be good off lead at the moment as she's so young and hasn't the confidence yet to venture away from you - she shows this as she is afraid to be without you which is why she's crying when you leave her.  Don't be fooled - this breed are not good off lead at all, there will come a day she doesn't respond to you calling her back because something will be more appealing to her senses - that may be another dog, a cat a leaf, it could be anything.  I use a 100 foot lead with my boys so they get a good run around but they're still attached to me :)

Welcome to the forum.   :wave:

Like mentioned it can take some time to crate train and overcome any separation anxiety but over time and with persistence it does get easier.  Stick to your guns and hang in there. :)

Welcome Dylan.  You have a beautiful girl.  You must be proud.  I too agree with Sarah's advice. One thing you will learn with this breed, is they have a strong will. They don't surrender easily, so you not only have to stay consistent, you also need to stay two steps ahead of them. Don't worry though, you will adapt.  Your Husky will teach you much during her life.