Bert and Alice

MG312

Alice had always dreamed of taking a helicopter flight, but Bert always thought it was too expensive. "Fifty quid is fifty quid!" was his favourite response.

It came to Alice's fiftieth birthday and she said "It's a special birthday, please will you buy us a helicopter flight, Bert?"

Bert replied "It's still fifty quid, and fifty quid is fifty quid!".

Twenty five years later Alice and Bert were walking through a local fair and Alice saw a poster advertising helicopter flights for £50. Bert and Alice stood there arguing about it, Alice saying "I'm 75 now and I've not got many years left to do this, and I REALLY want to do it!".

"Fifty quid is fifty quid!" was all Bert would say.

The Pilot was stood nearby and intervened in the row. "I tell you what" he said. "I can see you would both enjoy it, and I'll do you a special deal. If you can spend the whole flight without speaking, I'll do it for free. If one of you utters as much as a single word during the flight I'll charge you the full fifty pounds" Bert and Alice both agreed, and up they went.

The pilot was very surprised at the silence during the flight, and tried everything in his power to get them to talk, doing all the scariest manoeuvres he could, flying upside down, backwards, straight up and down, so when he landed he called to the back, "Well done both of you, that's a free flight!" He turned round and saw Alice sitting there by herself. "Well, I would have said something as Bert fell out, but well, fifty quid is fifty quid!"

Edited by MG312