Collar help wanted...

jaime

Okay Guys..... recommendations required

Nanook, He's a big lad for his age (just gone 2) but he is powerfully strong and boisterous

He doesn't 'work' never tried him though my god he would have the pulling strength..

But...

For walking he wears his harness and takes me on the end of his 6ft lead {its a harness from Jollye's the one that supposed to prevent pulling! LOL)

Nanook gets 3-4 mile walks and he will pull for the duration now i'm not just talking slight pulling with no slack in the the lead....he pulls to the point i'm having to take grip of the lead with both hands (both of which lose all circulation :P ) and by no means do we walk slow but i still have to dig the heels in to cope with the strength

Even watching him from behind his front half ....he's like..................ya know the huge bulldoggy dog in Tom and Jerry with the huge muscley front and small back end thats just how he is!!!! you can physically see the power in him

We have tried him with a normal 'collar'....he hates them....If you've ever been into a gadget shop and seen the furry ferret things attached to a ball catapulting round a glass box.........thats Nanook hooked up to collar and lead trying to get out of it

and final resort was getting him a rope choker lead which I don't personally like as the only one I can find is really short

IT STOPPED THE PULLING..... GREAT if you wanna walk a husky who....'bounces along on his back legs'!!!!

I need some recommendations on what to use for his walks even if it just slightly restrains the pulling

(forgot to mention.... I don't and won't use chain choker collars)

All advice will be appreciated....not long off our walk so gonna sit with the hot water bottle on my lower back now lol

At the end of the day, what he needs is training so he can learn to walk on a loose leash. The collar is just a tool, and whilst they can give us a bit of leverage, dogs can learn to pull on any tool including head collars and prongs.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix or collar that will totally stop the pulling, it sounds like it is quite a serious habit for him. A well fitted martingale might be a good starting point, as might a prong collar, but really what you both need is for a reputable trainer to show you how to get him walking nicely :)

Thanks for that Bec...

We have looked into seeing a trainer with him

We have only had Nanook for 5 months

And though his First owner who had him as a pup took him walks both on and off the lead Nanook was rehomed to a guy for 6 months who at the end of the day....just wanted to make a profit on him......he came to us...they both worked full time long hours and Nanook was kept outdoors on a chain which is why we think he has such resentment on being restrained

We darent let him off lead because he would just bolt and though we have a huge garden it isn't Houdini proof and he has got out a couple of times and he has ZERO road sense We don't have dog parks here either

Don't get me wrong we LOVE our walks and Nanook gets his 'free play' enclosed at the local tennis courts plus we're moving house soon where the garden is fully enclosed so he'll have the run of it

Just the excessive pulling is the uissue

Sounds like you've given him a good home :)

Excessive pulling can be tricky for many owners but a trainer who knows what they are doing can have a dog walking on a loose leash in 15 minutes max (though obviously, whether or not the dog consistently and reliably walks on a loose leash is up to you and depends on whether you continue with the training as per their instruction).

But yeah, which collar you use here is not so much the issue as to how you go about teaching him to walk on a loose leash :)

The other name for the Martingale that Bec advises is a Half check, its bassically half normal collar half chain and the idea is that it work the same way as a check chain, tightening when the dog pulls but that it has the flat collar agains the dogs neck so your not chocking the dog just tightening it so he realises the more he pulls the more uncomfortable he gets. But as Bec said its aaaall about the training. What training are you doing with him at the moment? does it include heelwork? I would think this would be the most succesful way to stop him yanking your arm out of its socket is to get his fav treats and try keeping him by your side as you walk giving him the treats every few yards so he learns that walking WITH you is more rewarding than walking you! We're doing it with my Nukka at the moment and shes absolutly brilliant at it as long as you have a cocktail sausage in your hand you have her undivided attention! LOL!

Also if theres anyone you can hunt out near by to you that does run a team he sounds like he would make the most fantastic wheel dog ever and its a great way to excersize him! Garunteed he wont pull your arm off if hes too tired from running in harness! biggrin.gif