Puffed out and Grinning like a Husky!

Couple of weeks ago I got offered a dog scooter and eqipment for a really cheap price, went to have alook and it all seemed in good nick and totally worth it, so I bought it!

Although Nukka is only 7 months I've been teaching her mushing terms from our first walks out together and shes doing really well, however not fully developed yet so didnt want to risk hurting her growth by scootering with her to soon. Therefore have descided to start off easy just getting her to jog with me a little and pull me up hills and whatnot,

well..... Nukka and I just got back from our first succesful Mushing Jog! Got the scooter harness on her and the bungee cord attaced to my belt so she gets use the stuff and we just jogged to the end of the road and back.

It was absolutley fantastic she LOVED it, she was so happy when I told her Hike and kept a brilliant pace all the way down the road and back!

I think we're both hooked and are gunna make it a regular evening thing from now on building on our distance after a while. biggrin.gif

I LOVE MY HUSKY GIRL!!!!!

I'm glad you both are enjoying it however it is my opinion that she is too young to be pulling full weight yet (as you mentioned she was pulling you up hills and what not). We start pups at around 8 months or so but they are hooked up with at least 3 other strong pullers so they are hardly pulling any weight at all. You also mentioned that you are running down a street, correct? The hard pounding on pavement or concrete is very hard on young growing bones and joints and can cause long-term damage whether or not the pup is pulling or leash jogging. Not to be a downer just my 2 cents on starting such a young pup like that.

I'm glad you both are enjoying it however it is my opinion that she is too young to be pulling full weight yet (as you mentioned she was pulling you up hills and what not). We start pups at around 8 months or so but they are hooked up with at least 3 other strong pullers so they are hardly pulling any weight at all. You also mentioned that you are running down a street, correct? The hard pounding on pavement or concrete is very hard on young growing bones and joints and can cause long-term damage whether or not the pup is pulling or leash jogging. Not to be a downer just my 2 cents on starting such a young pup like that.

Thanks for the concern OC and yeah I know what your saying, when she pulls me up hills its not on the scooter Im jogging along behind her so shes not really pulling me up the hill but she feels like she is if you get what I mean? And on the pavement was just a really short trial run to see if we could do it, I'm planning to run properly up the woods which is mostly dirt track. I think I'll keep jogging with her till shes next racing season so actaully start her on the scooter like September time so she'll be about a year and a half..? You think thats OK?

That sounds good :) Keep them short of course, you shouldn't be going further than 3 miles by the time she hits 9 months. She shouldn't be pulling your full weight until at least 1 year old. She will try to so do be careful of that!!!! Just because she can and is happy doing it doesn't mean she should be doing it. Also keep in mind the type of traiing you are doing with her is going to encourage her to keep a slower pace when in harness. You talked about racing season so if racing is your goal you might want to rethink your training strategy. If just going out and having fun with her is your goal then you are on the right track :)

That sounds good smile.gif Keep them short of course, you shouldn't be going further than 3 miles by the time she hits 9 months. She shouldn't be pulling your full weight until at least 1 year old. She will try to so do be careful of that!!!! Just because she can and is happy doing it doesn't mean she should be doing it. Also keep in mind the type of traiing you are doing with her is going to encourage her to keep a slower pace when in harness. You talked about racing season so if racing is your goal you might want to rethink your training strategy. If just going out and having fun with her is your goal then you are on the right track smile.gif

Wow I doubt I could Jog 3 miles!! LOL! But Yeah I take your meaning, I definatley know she will WANT to go go go as she already does lol! I try to keep her going steady.

Only reason I mention racing season atm is because of the weather in this country, if the past couple of summers are anything to go on it will proabley be to hot to train properly during the summer so early morning and late evening jogs will be the limit. Although who knows if we get really good at scootering we might enter some fun run types but shes not KC registered so if we wanted to race competativly I'd have to put some serious effort into getting her on the non-pedigree racing list. For now I'm just looking for a fun way to exercise her and keep up! LOL! Thanks for all the Advise OC!! :D