Super-Mega shedding!

Hey there all.

As you know Ive had Achilles 2 weeks tomorrow.

Im having an odd issue though, at least I think its odd anyway, lol.

As I think i mentioned he was blowing his coat still when I got him,

and he had been shaved.

Chewy has not and apparently never will blow his coat and just sheds

at a low rate all the time, so its not particularly messy (except on our

red rug, lol).

Achilles on the other hand Is super-mega shedding, lol. Tons and tons

of hair everywhere and all the time. I know they do lose alot of hair

during the time they blow their coats, but his seems really excessive.

Could it be he's shedding alot more due to being shaved?

Hes been brushed with the slicker several times (nearly every day) and

ive gotten him with the deshedding tool twice now to take care of the

heavily matted spots where his blowing fur was matted into his top coat

from the shaving, and he looks great but wow theres just piles of hair

all over the place and you can even see hair out all over the yard.

Can I just expect this to keep going until hes lost all his shaved fur and

regrown his full coat again? If this has happened to you, can you recall how

long it was before the super shedding slowed down?

Ive never shaved a husky before but this seems to be the result of shaving

during the time they are blowing their coat...so im wondering should I buy a

an easy vac for the lady who will be sitting for me...or do you think it could slow

down in the next 2 weeks?

that's a good question. I talked to a groomer at work and they said it's not a good idea to shave a husky because their fur won't come back in the same. So maybe that's what's happening like you said. The dog is trying to properly grow the coat back in? I haven't had Pongo blow his coat yet so I'm not sure how much hair it actually is, only seen pics. Hopefully someone will have an answer better than mine!laugh.gif

I've gotten 3 carrier bags full off Kasier so far and he's still blowing lol I would imagin it's because of him being shaved - his body would be trying to get back to normal.

Have you double checked with the vet that he doesn't have an underlying skin condition?

Yeah we gave Lana and Nanook a bath about a week ago and OMG she has not stop shedding. I filled up two shopping bags with fur on 2 different days not to included that shedding that she does around the house. I sear all the hair around here you would think that i shaved my dog.

I too talked to a groomer but couple of summers ago when i was thinking getting Lana shaved because how got it gets around here. What was advised here on this great side was confirmed by the groomer and the vet, which both suggested not to shave their coat unless it was the coat on their belly's to help them cool off. The vet informed me that the same coat that helps them keep warm in the cold is the same coat that protects them from heat and "sunburns".

So not sure if the mount of fur is because of shaving or that it is just normal. Since we have had Lana this is the most that she has shed before. We use shed control shampoos which normally works out great.

Yeah Ive gotten about 2 and a half bags of blown coat off of achilles so far, and Im sincerely in shock

about how much more hair is just flying off him, my rug, my floors, and even my (barely exisisting) lawn.

I know all about the blowing of the coat and how I should expect alot of fur to be coming off him, but

wowies...theres so much of it from achilles its just wicked. I have looked at his skin especially around

his hips where most of his blown hair was matted into his coat, and his skin looks great, so I dont think

its got to do with his skin.

I really think that no thanks to being shaved completely the top coat (guards and all) are now being

shed as well to grow in a full new coat....but never been through this before. Im hoping it wont be

this bad for another 4 months because its just amazing.

Poor chewy has gotten up off the floor a couple of times and one side of his body will be covered in

achilles' snow white fur, lol.

I think I will get a little easy vac and pray it doesnt blow up, lmao! Itll prob be getting clogged about

twice a day, hahahaha.

I know all about the blowing of the coat and how I should expect alot of fur to be coming off him, but

wowies...theres so much of it from achilles its just wicked. I have looked at his skin especially around

his hips where most of his blown hair was matted into his coat, and his skin looks great, so I dont think

its got to do with his skin.

Poor chewy has gotten up off the floor a couple of times and one side of his body will be covered in

achilles' snow white fur, lol.

I think I will get a little easy vac and pray it doesnt blow up, lmao! Itll prob be getting clogged about

twice a day, hahahaha.

LOL Yeah Lana's most fur came from her hips and back legs. I too used a vac on Lana. There was this Vacuum extension for dogs at pet smart that we picked up but never used because she never shed this much before. I used it and man.....the thing started smelling burnt because her fur would clog up the Vacuum. However it's not a bag vacuum it's one of the new technologies with all the filters and stuff. Only good thing about the Vacuum was that she was not scared of it and it prevented the fur from flying all over the place.

The amount of times i had to change the vacuum was not worth it. We really considered buying another vacuum just for this purpose but Nanook doesn't like the vacuum plus it would take away some of that bonding time you do with your dog when you groom them. So to each their own.