Non-Stop, Maleficent & Transformers 4

mydiamond

The night before my trip to Jakarta I watched Non-Stop with my brother :) then on our first day there we watched Maleficent. Then the day before we go back home, we lined up with an army of ten-year-old kids (and their distressed parents) to purchase tickets for Transformers: Age of Extinction; otherwise known as simply Transformers 4. I am feeling particularly bored, so I'm gonna review each one of them just because :D

Film #1: Non-Stop. Liv's rating: 6.8/10

While Non-Stop starts on the right foot with a well-thought plot, I do think it adds a lot of unnecessary (or it matters so little it became unnecessary) details into the storyline. What's the good of introducing the death of Bill's daughter to the audience? It doesn't affect the plot except to explain why he's seen as unfit for duty. I mean, if they're going to tell a story about Bill's dead daughter, then they should've gone all the way. Make it part of the plot somehow. With the way it is now, that part of the story just seem detached and irrelevant. When a movie has a part that is irrelevant to the rest, it becomes a little hard to digest. I also think they could use a little more suspense. It is indeed a movie that kept us guessing who the terrorist is, but there's not much suspense. As an action movie lover, I feel disappointed by it. If it's an action movie, I want to see heart-stopping chases, people jumping out of nowhere shooting their automatic guns and bullets raining down from heaven. I want to see... well, the action. Thrilling parts that made people lean forward and kept them at the edge of their chairs. That's what makes an action movie an action movie. You don't get a lot of that from Non-Stop, unfortunately. It feels more like watching a mystery genre. But even then, it's a bad one. Not that I didn't compare it to Sherlock Holmes though. Still, it is still an enjoyable weekend night movie. It's not so boring you'd fall asleep, but it's also not so thrilling you'd stay wide awake. Invest on some coffee.

Film #2: Maleficent. Liv's rating: 8/10

Maleficent is easily the all-time best movie in 2014. I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow yet though so its crown is still at risk, but so far none even comes close. HTTYD 2 is a good movie, but it regurgitates plot from its prequel and focuses too much on tiny little details which matters little to the main plot. It's still a very enjoyable movie, but Maleficent has kicked its butt and sent it tumbling down to #2 on Liv's favorite movies chart. It's a pretty huge gap too, by the way. Maleficent is only loosely based on the tale of Sleeping Beauty. It's hardly another cheap, lazy remake like what we see in most 2014 movies. The story is completely fresh out of a creative mind, a whole new plot that gives a different perspective to the well-known tale. The only part of the movie that imitates the original is the needle curse and how Aurora was sent to the woods to live with three pixies. Other than that is 100% new. Heck, they even changed the pixies' names. Apparently "Flora, Fauna and Merriweather" is unfit for a 2014 remake :) It tells a touching story of, basically, the love of a mother to a child. I said "basically" because that's not really how it is, but it's that kind of love. Makes me hold back tears, really. It's really hard not to cry on this one. Other than tear-jerking storyline, Maleficent also presents us with awesome animation details and cool fight scenes which sorta reminds me to LOTR and The Hobbit. There is no dull moment in this film. It leaves no part of the story for us to yawn at. Each part contributes to the main plot and is very entertaining in their own way. Sometimes it's funny (not hilarious, but funny). Sometimes it's thrilling. Sometimes it's tear-jerking and/or heart-warming. Sometimes it's just plain adorable. There's a lot going on, but somehow... like a good soup... they blend in together nicely.

Film #3: Transformers 4. Liv's rating: 4/10

I arrived in Jakarta at Transformer 4's premier show day. You can literally see Optimus Prime's statues, merchandise and brochures everywhere around you. In the mall, in little children's clothes, in TV commercials... you name it. I must say I need to give a standing ovation to Transformers' marketing team, but the movie didn't live up to its expectation. I have long told people around me; "I can't believe this movie is targeting children now. It's not a children's movie!". But now I think Michael Bay has finally shut me up for good. Transformers 4 is indeed a children's movie. It has no storyline whatsoever. One moment it was talking about an excavation site in the Arctic, one other moment it's about a broke inventor and his daughter. Then comes the CIA, the alien robot-hating CIA head, the Autobots-hunting humans, the inventor's daughter's rally driver secret boyfriend and of course the millionaire who wants to make a Transformer of his own. Oh and of course if you've seen the trailer, we have dinosaurs now. Fire-spitting dinosaurs. Plus another alien who is not an Autobot nor a Decepticon called Lockdown who works with the CIA. If you're wondering how in the world did all these elements mix into one, then I'm afraid I can't help you. I am wondering that as well! The children however, certainly aren't wondering. They're cheering and clamoring because they could care less about movie plots. They care more about fight scenes, swords, guns, cannons and gigantic alien robots tearing each other apart. The good news is, those robot fight scenes make up to about 99% of the whole movie. Like I said; Transformers has now completely transformed from a PG-13 movie to a full-on children's movie showed in Discovery Kids and Toonami. Watching that movie, I can almost hear Michael Bay screaming; "Who cares about the story? Add whatever to the script, just make sure Optimus keeps on gunning someone to death. Those children are gonna LOVE this!". Yeah... looks like another death of a much-loved movie series. I used to love Transformers. The first two movies are wonderful. But then Megan Fox screwed up, and the crew didn't do a great job patching up the storyline to make it less insensible. The fourth one is an utter chaos. They signaled a continuation of the series to Transformers 5, but I think I'd rather settle for the T-shirts and mugs.

Awww. I love transformers! Admittedly after the first two, I kinda lost some of enthusiasm. My kids were laughing at me when I had tears pouring down my face worried that bumblebee was dead, lol.

I would do anything for bumblebee to be my car!!!! [emoji7]