Shoutbox Change

Marc

As you have seen I have had a poll up for the past couple of days regarding the shoutbox and its current position on the forum, and have also been working to optimise the speed of the forum in general. The shoutbox is quite server intentive and intensive on browsers both on this forum and on the old forum.

Now that the poll has been up, it is quite clear that people do not want it removing completely, and to be honest I agree with that myself. However in the same respect there are a hell of a lot of members who do not want to see it on every page on the forum, and in a lot of cases not at all.

So for this reason, we have decided to compromise and remove the shoutbox from all pages other than the forum homepage. This will make the site pages load a lot faster and allow people to view the threads and post with ease and without distraction, whilst still allowing those who want to shout to do so.

I have also done a lot more optimisation today on the site, so again you should see more big improvement on the site speed in general.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Please can I also point out regading the shoutbox that it is not there for long drawn out conversation. It is a quick message box for people to leave messages for all to see. Whilst I do not mind the conversation, there have been topics discussed on the forefront of the forum, where potential new members will view first that are not content I would like to see associated with the general view of what this forum is about. I dont mind people using the site to talk about anything they so wish to do so, however please can you keep these kinds of conversation confined to the chatroom which is easily accessable from the chatroom link at the top of the board on every page on the site.

Use a decent browser LOL

Some users are having issues when using internet explorer 8 as microsoft thought up this genius idea of locking things down to a stupid extent. There is a way to sort this problem out, however I cant seem to remember it LOL. Once I do I'll get a post up here to let people know.

Also the issue will cause problems on a lot of java chatrooms, not just ours. Therefore when I find the fix, if anyone is having issues elsewhere this may also fix that problem.

OK ... if your having any issues with he chatroom, please visit the following website and install Java http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

I've already got it, other java pages work ETC ETC ETC .... yeah I know .. trust me, install it.... Looks like there may have been a few currupt updates to it at some point

OK ... if your having any issues with he chatroom, please visit the following website and install Java http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

I've already got it, other java pages work ETC ETC ETC .... yeah I know .. trust me, install it.... Looks like there may have been a few currupt updates to it at some point

He only knows because I told him lmao laugh.gif