Woof

I know huskies don't really bark, they more woo and howl. But Haley barks. Very loud. And very often. It's not when we have people over, or when she hears noises. Instead she comes over to us and says "woof", sometimes quiet and other times really loud. The problem is, we have no idea what she wants when she does this! If she's in a talking mood, she woos and talks with us, so it's not that. She has food and water in her dish and can eat when she wants. She has lenty of toys to play with, she has Kahtadin to harass if she wants to play, she goes on a long walk every night rain, shine, snow, doesn't matter the conditions. We play tug or ball with her each night (she loves playing catch with me) and Jay wrestles with her, which she loves. So she has plenty to do to keep her attention. It's not that she has to go out, we've tried taking her out when she comes up to us and woofs, and she sniffs around, tries to play, and then goes back inside. And 5 minutes later she's back to woofing at us. If we play with her inside and she tires of that, she might lie down or go play with Kahtadin. But then she comes back to us woofing again. Same with petting her and giving her attention.

Any ideas about what she's trying to tell us or what she wants? We've tried feeding her, petting her, playing with her, talking to her, woofing back at her, everything we can think of. And she still does the woof thing. It's cute sometimes, but other nights it just gets annoying, we just look at her and say "What do you WANT???". Is there something we're mssing that she could want besides food/drink, petting, play, and going outside? Or is she just an attention hog?

The most annoying thing is when she does this at 3AM - we're sound asleep, only to have her come into the bedroom, stand by one of our heads, and say "WOOF"! Scares us half to death. That usually (but not always) means she has to o out, but sometimes it's "I want attention" (like this morning when she did it to me. Then when I invited her on the bed, she cuddled and got pet).

It seems you have an attention hog alright, lol. Chewy does this too, and he tends to do it without reason -although- I have noticed he does it immediately if he feels that the house has suddenly become to quiet and relaxed. He woofs for a few reasons but if hes doing it in the house he just wants to know Im paying attention, lol.

Grey Barks, especially when he want your attention to play or go for a walk, its funny i can tell when he is going to bark his breathing changes and there is something about his eyes the way he looks at youm, i tell him "Dont you dare Bark" and he just goes Woof and legs it! little bugger he is!!!!....lol

Grey Barks, especially when he want your attention to play or go for a walk, its funny i can tell when he is going to bark his breathing changes and there is something about his eyes the way he looks at youm, i tell him "Dont you dare Bark" and he just goes Woof and legs it! little bugger he is!!!!....lol

LOL we can tell with Haley too, she gets this look on her face and Jay says "Don't!". But she barks anyway. Sometimes she sneaks up on us when we're lying on the couch and makes us jump. She did that tonight, but I think we scared her when we both jumped.

yes, sounds like attention-seeking! Typical husky! If you've tried everything you can think of (& it sounds like you have!) she wants your attention. How long does she continue if you ignore this?

We've never succeeded in fully ignoring her until she stops. She'll woof, and if we don't respond she woofs louder. If we still don't respond, she either goes from Jay to me to woof (or vice versa) or if we're sitting on the couch where she can reach us, she gets right up in our faces and woofs. And that's about when Jay says "What do you want?" and either grabs at her to wrestle/play or gets her up on the couch to get pet/play. If she does it in the middle of the night, she wakes both of us up, we both jump since she scares us. And then Jay or I take her outside.

She will also woof at me in the morning if I don't get up when my alarm goes off (sometimes it's right before the alarm goes off), and I'll roll over and say "too early". I usually invite her up on the bed, she gets pet, and then she leaves and calms down again. Unless she needs to go out, then she's back woofing at me.

Barking is actually a juvenile trait at least in the dog world. It is exactly what everyone else is saying... I WANT ATTENTION!!! Another juvenile trait is being social... If you don't see where I am going with this... Huskies were actually bread to keep many juvenile traits so they tend to keep some of them longer than other dogs... Barking included. The only way to really get them to stop is to completely ignore them when they do it and praise them when they use a different sound to get the same thing.