Gps Technology For K9

Jbrown1028

I was recently asked if I would give a short review of the GPS system I use for Maya. Although there are a few of them out there, such as the Garmin Astro 320, TEK 1.0 GPS, SportDog TEK GPS, and MiniSpy just to name a few. I have decided to use PetTracker or Tagg.

There are several reasons I chose the PetTracker. The major reason is the activity monitoring, this gives me a sense of how Maya is feeling, acting and what her energy level needs to be every day. It allows me to keep a long term trend of points on a weekly, daily, and hourly report. Another great reason is the fact I can use my Smart phone and get her current location, track her, see the battery level, monitor her activity level and much more right from the phone as well as the website. Finally the 3rd reason for choosing this device is because it is 100% water proof, swimming, rain, of any types will not effect the system.

Here is PetTracker's sales pitch from their website:

The Tagg™ pet tracking system allows you to track your pet’s location and activity from your computer or mobile device. You can see where your dog is or monitor his activity levels 24/7. The lightweight pet tracker attaches to your dog's existing collar, and is designed to be worn at all times, even while swimming.

Tagg Location Tracking puts you in control of finding your pet. Unlike a microchip, which won’t alert you if your pet is lost, Tagg is a GPS pet tracker that sends you a text and email when your pet gets out so you can find him NOW.

With Activity Tracking, you can monitor your pet’s activity levels and spot long-term trends. Did you know that veterinarians recommend that dogs get 30-60 minutes of daily exercise? Tagg allows you to find out if your dog is getting enough, so you can be proactive about his health.

Start tracking now. Don’t let your pet become a statistic.

What I have found is a couple of things, the unit itself does require Verizon's cell service network, although any of the protocols will work so coverage is near 100% in the United States. Places like Death Valley is thin coverage. The unit costs $99.00 and you can pay $7.99 per month or $79.00 per year.

This is far superior cost wise then the $500 - $3000 for sport dog tracking and you don't get near the features.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Thank you,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I know we've talked about this in the past but all anyone has had to go on was the "promo lit" so having someone who really has one is a blessing.  I wish I could find one that was "self contained" (dog unit and hand held) since there is no cell service where I am.  But then if I did find one I know I couldn't afford it since - there wouldn't be any monthly service fee, so they'd go for it all up front.

It attaches to their collar. You do have to charge it every so often

If you google it you should be able to find out all the info. You can tell where the dog is and if your dog goes outside the "home base" that you set it it will alert you with a mobile app

It attaches to their collar. You do have to charge it every so often

If you google it you should be able to find out all the info. You can tell where the dog is and if your dog goes outside the "home base" that you set it it will alert you with a mobile app

Hmm will have to check into this!

Sounds interesting and some of my friends with escape artists have it and I want it but I don't have Verizon D:

Is there another cheap one?

Would totally give up my 7.99 subscription to Netflix for something like Tagg! I'm too paranoid even though mine is inside most of the time. I don't trust her outside.. especially since my lame neighbor's dogs are so underexercised and bored that they chew through my fence and keep knocking it down...

Must get something like this :l

There is another alternative it is the Garmin - DC 40 GPS Dog Tracking Collar it is about $599, This doesn't require any cell service it uses VHF to transmit location information from the GPS on the collar. I have not used this personally, here is the link:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/dog-tracking-training/astro-/prod89564.html

Now what I can determine from this one is, you don't leave it on them 24/7 (or in my case whenever she isn't in bed), this is whenever you take them outside. Here is where I have the problem with these types:

1. Battery 20 hours on the Garmin - approx. 1 month on the PetTracker

2. This is a collar replacement for the Garmin - for the PetTracker just a little device that attaches to the collar (I attached it to the harness)

3. There is no activity level tracking - The PetTracker tracks activity with built in gyroscopes and sensors.

4. There is no phone app, requires handheld device - The PetTracker has the ability to use your phone as its tracking device so no extra items are required to track.

5. Updated Maps are required to be purchased - The PetTracker uses online mapping so no updates are required

6. The Garmin uses AA batteries - The PetTracker has a rechargeable battery

That is all I can think of right now