He just wont "go"!

jh3228

We've started crate training the puppy. He is happy in his crate, he will now eat, sleep and play in there, no problems, which was the first few steps. He also will NOT poo or pee in there, which is the ultimate goal, right? However, we're having a problem.

He wont "go" outside either!! We've been sitting in the living room with him in his crate, we're very close to him, watching a movie, and he's playing in there slowly getting more restless - we KNOW he has to go. He whines a bit, but every time we take him outside the house he stands there with his tail between his legs. However if we left him IN the house he'd go on the carpet.

I'm baffled. It's like he doesnt like to go outside and thinks the floor is the only acceptable option.

What do I do?

I got Mya doing her 'business' outside by taking her for a walk when I knew she was due/in need....basically out waited her. When it finally happened, she got lots of praise and some treats (ones she LOVES to encourage it) So i'm a step in the right direction with her now...still lots of work to do!

Everything I've read on crates though (haven't tried as my crate hasn't arrived yet) suggest putting them straight back into the crate and try again in 10/15 minutes, repeat infinity. Again followed by praise/play/treats only upon success.

I also look forward to someone who actually uses a crate to what they did in the past as I'm also keen to know

* Edited due to not making sense...it is late!!:P *

I find Myshka will only "go" on a piece of grass, she's never keen on going on concrete or other stuff, just a thought. do you have a section of garden that you can 'fence' off, maybe he's a bit frightened in the new big space?

Walking is good exercise & usually gets them going, try walking him round the garden a few times & then take him to the corner you prefer him to use & say a specific command he will get used to (we say "Go wee") & use LOADS of praise when he goes

Poor guy does not know the ropes yet. So, if you walk him a bit, give him an opportunity to do his business, and then praise him like he performed a huge miracle, in short time, things will click. But you need to put a time limit on it. If within 15 minutes, he's not done his business outside, put him back in the crate for a bit. Then if he starts to whimper, take him back out. It can get frustrating, but the good thing is, he will quickly catch on, and then that hurdle will have been passed. Oh, there will still be accidents, and if you catch him in the act, a firm NO is in order, pick him up, and take him out. If you don't catch him in the act, whatever you do, don't scold him, because he won't associate the bad thing he's done with the scolding. Be consistent, be firm, be understanding, and I'll bet in a short period, you'll be a pro at this stuff.

Poor guy does not know the ropes yet. So, if you walk him a bit, give him an opportunity to do his business, and then praise him like he performed a huge miracle, in short time, things will click. But you need to put a time limit on it. If within 15 minutes, he's not done his business outside, put him back in the crate for a bit. Then if he starts to whimper, take him back out. It can get frustrating, but the good thing is, he will quickly catch on, and then that hurdle will have been passed. Oh, there will still be accidents, and if you catch him in the act, a firm NO is in order, pick him up, and take him out. If you don't catch him in the act, whatever you do, don't scold him, because he won't associate the bad thing he's done with the scolding. Be consistent, be firm, be understanding, and I'll bet in a short period, you'll be a pro at this stuff.

thank you!! I appreciate the advice!