Walking / Maps App For Android

Mark Marples

Have you tried Walkjogrun

It works with googlemaps and works really well.

• 3 weeks later...

I use viewranger (On Iphone, but it is also available for android & symbian). It comes with some basic maps and OS are available to purchase. The whole of the UK is available in scales of 1:25000, 1:50000 & 1:250000. So far I have purchased North England & North Wales for £3.99

Here is the description from the web site;

'Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50,000 National Parks maps. This purchase includes the national parks in North England and North Wales - the Lake District, Peak District, Snowdonia, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors national parks. (It does not include Northumberland.)'

I have also purchased NW England (incls: Cumbria/ Lancs/Mancs/Mersey) for £7.49

Web site description;

'Great Britain Regions -OS LandRanger 1:50 000 scale map of The North West of England (incl Lake District NP)'

I think these are pretty good prices for this scale of map and turning your phone into a GPS. The 1:25 & 1:50 maps show the public footpaths, bridle ways etc... There are quite few nifty features that come with it, but I'm still feeling my way around everything. One of the features I do use and like very much is the 'Trip View' just press 'Start' when you set off, and 'Stop' when you have finished, where it displays the distance you have walked and the time it has taken along with an overlay on the map of your route. Once I return home I hit the 'Synchronize' button and it uploads the route/details to an on-line server. I can log-in any time to their website and check my history of walking, create routes or even download routes created by other users.

It may sound to good to be true, so last Thursday morning we had the perfect weather conditions for testing this app, foggy/misty and fine drizzling rain with a visibility of around hundred metres. So me and my trusty pair (Tar & Mac) set off to the dizzying heights of Darwen moors armed with a map/compass and my hopes and dreams on my 'cheap' GPS app. Every couple of hundred metres I checked my phone and BINGO, it pin-pointed me with frightening accuracy. I have used it every day since and it has not let me down yet.

I can see it coming in handy in winter when the day light hours are short. I can still get dragged around the moors or forests in my area in total harmony and avoid the pavements and streets while trying to constantly explain 'No, they are not wolves...!' to worried looking bystanders.

Here is the web site, if anyone might be interested. http://viewranger.com

Just my tuppence worth,

Cheers

Colin