Doggy Blood Donor

ISDW

I'm so proud of my girl Sky, she's at the vets at the moment recovering from giving blood to hopefully save another dog's life.

I was on a list at our old vets in the UK in case they ever needed blood, but were never asked. Today however, was the day the phone call came. They needed a quiet, placid dog over 20kgs. I thought of Diesel, but remembering how freaked out he was at the vets when he went for his jabs, probably not the right choicebiggrin.gif So Sky went in, she's behaved impeccably apparently and I'll be going to collect her in about an hour.

Next time you go to the vet with your dog, ask if they can be considered as a blood donor. You never know, one day it might be your dog that needs the blood.

Theres no testing involved as far as I know, they just specified a quiet dog, over 20kg. I innocently assumed they'd take it out of the front leg, like they normally do for tests etc. Nooooooooo, they take it straight out of the jugular, hence the need for a quiet, passive dog.

She's back home now, not a bother on her. She has to take it easy for a few days, and they gave her some extra, high calorie food and I'll give her some more normal food in a little while. She's fast asleep at my feet, but when I collected her, you wouldn't even have known anything had happened.

I've actually read about a dog honored "across the pond" for being a blood donor. I remember posting something about it shortly after I became a member here. It was a very heartwarming story. I contacted the reporter who did the story. Very neat article - for some reason I can't recall the dogs name or I'd point you all to the story.

Anyway, I think this is wonderful thing that Sky has done! Kudos!!!! :-)

Wow I had no idea this even happened! Although, thinking about it, it does make sense that they'll need canine blood donated for canine operations!

The dog I used to have (giant schnauzer) would have been happy to donate his blood, he was a big softy hehe. It's something I'll keep in mind if we feel our future huskies would be able to deal with something like that, thanks for mentioning it and big hugs for Sky :)