Novels

mydiamond

I enjoy English literature, but English books in Indonesia is crazily expensive. Luckily I'll be off to the US in Sunday and all I'm thinking is books books books  :D I'm sure they'd be cheaper over there because there're no import taxes and all that? A classic 1960 English novel in Indonesia costs double the average price of the latest local novel of same page amount!! But that's definitely a money well spent. I'm so in love with To Kill A Mockingbird  :D 

Now on to the question. Any novel recommendations? Like many teens I enjoy the work of romance authors such as Sophie Kinsella, but I also enjoy "heavier" classic literatures such as To Kill A Mockingbird and A Walk To Remember--whose Indonesian version I read. I don't find Agatha Christie and her mystery/horror novels exciting though... It's nothing but creepy for me  :unsure: oh and sweet animal biographies such as Marley & Me or Zamba is also a favorite. If the novels' price in the US is cheaper, I swear I'm gonna stuff my luggage with novels LOL so don't hesitate giving me a long list :D thanks in advance! 

Are you talking English Language or English Literature?

To Kill a Mocking Bird is American literature

Other American Lit classics are

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

White Fang and Call of the Wild - Jack London

The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

English lit is so diverse so really need to find more of what you are after to give better recommendations.

1984, George Orwell; (not romantic, but truly interesting)

Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri; (poem, but probably the best one out there!)

Shogun, James Clavell; (a little bit romantic?)

Can't think of any other atm :C

Not only Shogun, which started the series but also:

• Taipan
  • Gai-jin
  • King Rat
  • Noble House
  • Whirlwind

I've read all of them and with King Rat and "later" he seems to become more "modern" ( as the series moves through time ) not only in theme but style.  Shogun, Tai-Pan and Gaijin I simply enjoyed reading; King Rat, Noble House and Whirlwind, while good reads, were less enjoyable.

Not only Shogun, which started the series but also:

• Taipan
  • Gai-jin
  • King Rat
  • Noble House
  • Whirlwind

I've read all of them and with King Rat and "later" he seems to become more "modern" ( as the series moves through time ) not only in theme but style.  Shogun, Tai-Pan and Gaijin I simply enjoyed reading; King Rat, Noble House and Whirlwind, while good reads, were less enjoyable.

I must agree about King Rat, not as enjoyable as Shogun, which completely changed my life!

Are you talking English Language or English Literature?

To Kill a Mocking Bird is American literature

Other American Lit classics are

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

White Fang and Call of the Wild - Jack London

The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

English lit is so diverse so really need to find more of what you are after to give better recommendations.

oops, english language. British or American is not a problem :) ah yes White Fang! Really gotta add that to my list :D