Bowl Swapping ??

Sarah

Hmmm ok......I feed both my boys the same food and make them sit and wait before I allow them to eat it. Kimba dives right in but kaiser has a sniffle, munches a few bits then saunters off until Kimba's finished. Now for some reason, Kimba always leaves a few stray bits of kibble in his bowl and kaiser dives right in there when Kimba's walked away and eats whatever's left of Kimba's food.

I stopped him doing this for a week and he didn't eat so i've now tried adding bits of his food from his bowl to kimba's bowl when Kaiser cleans up Kimba's leftovers and he eats it :blink:

Any idea why he's doing this apart from being a stubborn little shite? lol

same here im afraid , dief will sit by his bowl while the other 2 eat , then he will eat what they leave, he will let tori eat out of his bowl, but not taz, taz will eat his own and then snaffle what is left in toris bowl, tori will eat her bowl and then pick whats left out of both the boys bowl, i just leave them too it , its like musical bowls sometimes lol

I believe this has something to do with pack dynamics. I have worked with wolves and it is much more prevalent with them. With the wolves I have worked with the puppies ate at the same time until they were introduced to the rest of the pack. After they were introduced and the pack dynamics settled the alpha would eat first and then the others. It might be the same thing happening here.

That being said... I have a couple questions.

Does this behavior strengthen as it gets colder?

Is Kimba the more dominant of the two?

Does this behavior strengthen as it gets colder?

Is Kimba the more dominant of the two?

Actually yes - now you come to mention it - it's only been the last month where he's done this.

I have always though of Kaiser as the more dominant one - when i give them treats he sits in front of Kimba to get his - he doens't always get it first though, I alternate who gets it first it i can't physically give it to them both at the same time