Madonna Of The Mills

LittleLuka

This is why I'm glad that you can't buy dogs from pet stores here in the U.K.

While we do have backyard breeders, we don't have puppy mills breeding 50+ bitches several times per year

just to supply the pet stores.

While we do have backyard breeders, we don't have puppy mills breeding 50+ bitches several times per year

Agreed. It makes me sick that these places are allowed to continue. They should all be shut down. Consumers are the only way to end it. When Americans stop buying the puppies mills will go out of business.

Luka was very interested too though lol....

post-7406-13596813457393_thumb.jpg

We are starting to see this, very slowly, here in the states...I believe California [or maybe it was just the big cities, I can't remember which] passed a new law preventing the sale of puppies and kittens in petstores. I am also seeing many of the larger chains starting to do this on their own, having adoption days for the local shelters, instead of mill pups and kittens rotting in a display window. It's such a slow process, but it gives me hope that more and more will deny puppy mills and force them to shut their doors, freeing the poor animals they use in their operations.

I live in one of the top puppy mill states and it helped me take a stand knowing and seeing what goes on in them. I will only get a dog from a shelter or an ETHICAL breeder. As heartless as it seems, the only way to help these animals is stop buying even when you consider it a 'rescue.'  

As long as it continues shelters are going to keep getting filled up with dogs that wind up being euthanized instead of living in their deserved forever home.

We are seriously overpopulated with dogs. People dump them on sides of roads, decide a puppy is too much to handle, or just don't want to deal with their disabled or senior animal. The list goes on. I've yet to establish how you can own an animal for a day much less 10 + years and drop it off at a shelter knowing fully well that it will probably be euthanized. And I'm not talking about loving owners who for sad circumstances have to rehome their animals. They show they truly care by finding their loved one a new home. I commend those people. I mean the heartless people who abandon their dog in the cold or at a high kill shelter knowing that if there isn't any room their dog will be the first to be PTS. It's disgusting.

And that's why the more I know the more I'm convinced to rescuer future animals.