Senior years starting to show :(

Emma

Feeling a bit rubbish today. Brooke's not getting any younger and I know that death is a natural part of life, "you can't keep 'em forever" but things are starting to hit home right now that this statement also applies to my Brooke not just other people's dogs.

The reason I'm feeling cr** is because little signs are starting to pile up now that the weather has turned and it brings it all home that she's not a spring chicken anymore. Stiff back legs, needing to go toilet more often (leading to small accidents overnight), and poor hearing which worries me as her recall is/was spotless but now that's going to be affected too. I'm probably worrying needlessly as she just walks under your feet, slowly plodding along and tripping everyone up but I worry anyway, it's what I was born to do! lol.

We've had her from a pup, visited her when she was so small she could fit in your hand, chose her specifically out of all the litter (she was the tiniest one, not saying "runt" that's a horrible word) we chose her because while all her siblings were leaping around like mental pups, Brooke was calm and gently inquisitive. She'd quietly approach and ask for love and attention, not demanding, just sit there and look at you patiently waiting. Attributes she's retained to this very day. Hubby has always told the kids not to expect other dogs to be like Brooke, as you'll never find another dog as wholly tolerant of pretty much anything and everything, even vets prodding her when she's in great pain. I have to admit that he was right (although I'll never tell him so, lol).

On the positive side, I know that she's not about to just drop down dead right now or anything so dramatic, we should hopefully have a few good years left with our baby girl. It's just that although we've had her for over 11 years now, somehow that's simply just not enough.

I feel for you - although my boy isn't as old as Brooke, that exact same line of thinking runs through my mind everyday. I've only had him for 3 years, so I won't have as much time to enjoy him...

The winter just makes it worse because his arthritis really begins to show. :(

But, like I was told...just enjoy her! Make every moment count, perhaps you can go on special trips you've never done before, like when the weather gets better you could all go on a picnic while she just chills at your side. You could go to the beach, and watch her swim (if she likes to swim), or you two could just sunbathe on the sand.

The point being, and I know its hard, try not to think about it.

Hope that helps somewhat.

:grouphug:

It's never long enough, and I try not to think about it. I don't really know how old my boys are so I just try to rightly spoil them daily so every day they live to the fullest and are happy and healthy. They were lucky to make it to us, I just want them to enjoy whatever is left!

That's a natural response to seeing your pet age.........but what you have to remember is don't waste your time worrying about losing them, because by doing that, you're losing precious time with them.

You may have to slow down on walks, or find quieter things to do together, but by no means does it mean your time is over.

What I'm trying to say is don't focus on their aging.........they don't. You don't want to forego precious memories by worrying uncessarily about them leaving this world. Focus on the fact that you still have many memories to make, much time to share and countless things to experience - perhaps in a different way than when they were young, but yet so much to do together.

Hugs! I know what you're going through. When Bo started to age, it was heartwrenching.......but some of my fondest memories of him are those which took place in the last year of his life. The slow, meandering walks through the gentle snow, the nightly kisses on his forehead, and even just watching him sleep....

Stuff like this makes me cry. I'm a man and I'm not supposed to cry. But, at the end of the day, it's all about the quality of the time you spend with your furbaby. We lost Elke over four years ago. She was such a beautiful Husky, a personality that touches me to this day. She lived to be almost fifteen. We had boarded her at the vet clinic when we went on a week-long vacation Up North. One day the vet called. Elke could not stand up and had to be supported to go to the bathroom. We came home, and I took Elke home. She, I, and a bath towel to wrap under her tummy for support, became friends. Within a week, I had Elke walking on her own without assistance and getting up from a laydown position. She was a trooper, and while that period was one that changed her lifestyle and mine, it is a period that I realized Elke was tolerant of old age and she so enjoyed companionship, but she also knew we were in this together, her and I.

Enjoy each day and don't dwell on what you can't impact, but rather concentrate on attending to the needs of your Husky. The time you spend together will paint a vivid picture in your memory that you can revisit time and time again.

I just wanted to say a personal thank you to everyone here. Some wise words from you all that I know are true. Feeling a bit better now, well technically I actually feel terrible but that's because shortly after starting this thread I came down with a stonker of a head cold, which is probably why I was being a little more over sensitive than usual the other day. Thank you again for your support and sound advice. :)