Yuki is being a hoarder.. any advice?

I know I already posted this on another forum site, but honestly I'm more looking forward to the feedback I get here because it seems there are more trainers and dog behavior-savvy people here. I've noticed this for a bit but I'm not sure how to correct it. I'm not even sure what 'it' is. Quite honestly, it just reminds me of the little sister always taking things from her sibling. If Cloud tries to get a toy, Yuki starts whining and runs over, pushes him out of the way, and takes the toy. If he tries to take another toy, she abandons the first toy, and does the same thing. If I'm trying to play with Cloud with a toy, Yuki has to shove herself in and tug on it too. Just now, Cloud was trying to chew on an antler and Yuki wouldn't let him have it, which of course turned into a fight (no biting, just lots of 'arguing'). I put Yuki in the crate with an antler and left Cloud out so he could have the other one. Then Cloud got ahold of a toy that he wanted me to tug-of-war with him. Yuki had a FIT. She started howling up a storm and digging at the crate door because Cloud and I were playing without her. Not sure how to correct this diva behavior, Cloud never acts like this towards her. He never tries to take her food or toys, and most the time if she wants a toy he will give it up, but it would nice to be able to let him enjoy himself a little too! xD Any advice would be helpful. (Oh, and as for food, they are fed at the same time but Yuki is fed in her crate while Cloud eats a few feet away. Yuki would steal his food too if I didn't make her go in the crate and sit and wait.) Oh Yuki.. she is such a little brat xD

Bump please. She did it again this morning, taking a chew from Cloud almost as soon as he got it. Also, she tried to wake me up when she wanted fed this morning by jumping on the bed howling and digging at the blanket, scratching my legs and back. I ignored her for three hours, she did it four times in the time period. This isn't the first time this has happened. When I heard she was calm in her crate I got up, made her wait, and gave her her food. Not sure why she always acts like shes alpha when I've been training her since day 1 to sit before food, wait before the door, off the bed until I say ok, etc x.x I don't think shes in her teens yet but she is almost 5 months so could be, and I am consistent about the feeding in the morning at MY time (10am when she wants 7am) so I think with enough patience we can overcome that, its just the above post I'm worried about as I don't know how to correct it.

my boys have this problem, Parker wants all the toys.

I make sure we have two of each, and when ever there is arguments, Parker gets told off, (Obviously only if he starts it) and the toys returned to the correct dog.

For example, Kong toys, if kaiden gets up to get a drink, parker will get kaidens toy and sit back down with both, Kaiden then wont go and retrieve it, as parker growls, so i get up, take the toy, and give it back to kaiden...end of. if an argument kicks off, they both loss their toys.

Kaiden is the attention seeker and will barge Parker out the way, so what ive been doing is getting Kaiden to settle down, while i play with parker. any time kaiden gets up, playing stops and kaiden is told to return to his bed or where ever he has settled. then resume play with Parker. then i swape, Parker settles and me and kaiden play etc....this way they both get time playing with me, and they see that they wont get left out, they just have to wait turns.

This is something that i "made up", but it works for my boys. i cant really help proffessionally, and dont know if it will work for you.

Ah, you've got a bit of resource guarding going on there by the sound of things. Mine can be like that at times, one reason we hide all the toys and bones out of reach until we cab supervise them properly. We Always make sure that both have a toy or bone, given after they've sat and given paw on command. They usually try to nick the others one as they are brats! A sharp "leave it" is usually enough to stop them but if they do steal both toys,we generally take one back and give it back to the other dog. I wouldn't reccomended shoving your hand in the face of a dog with food aggression though, you may get bitten! There should be some resource guarding threads on here for some more clued up advice than I can give.

Edited by emma1979

I don't believe she has food aggression, she always lets me take away and give her food bowl, she has no issues with me taking away toys. Its only Cloud she has issues with xD I think I'm going to go with the route to leash her and keep her by me all day so if I see her going at Cloud I can tell her leave it, and if she doesn't listen I have time to interfere. Cloud never tries to take her toys, shes such a brat XD Thanks for your reply! :D (I also won't be leaving out any toys or treats for a while now.. xD)

I don't believe she has food aggression, she always lets me take away and give her food bowl, she has no issues with me taking away toys. Its only Cloud she has issues with xD I think I'm going to go with the route to leash her and keep her by me all day so if I see her going at Cloud I can tell her leave it, and if she doesn't listen I have time to interfere. Cloud never tries to take her toys, shes such a brat XD Thanks for your reply! :D (I also won't be leaving out any toys or treats for a while now.. xD)

That's good. I know you didn't mention any food aggression but I didn't want to take any chances that you may get bitten because of me. :)

That's good. I know you didn't mention any food aggression but I didn't want to take any chances that you may get bitten because of me. :)

No prob thats understandable, I've been working with Yuki since day 1 on letting me handle her, her food, her toys, etc. So shes fine with me.. but has other plans with Cloud comes along XD

This happens between Panda & Mason. Whenever Panda grabs a toy Mason will go and take it from him. Mason is my small little Yorkshire Terrier. Panda is very lenient towards him and allows him to take whatever he wants, most of the time. I say most because there are certain toys panda will not allow to be taken, and when he has it mason knows not to approach.

There have been a few "arguments" but i usually correct Mason for it as hes the one that usually starts it and grabs on.

They both don't have food or water aggression though, share water bowls etc at the park fine. It is just the toys, old toys at that. With new toys i make sure they each get there own.

But like the saying goes "It's always more interesting on the other side of the pond" lol.

Ugh of course I make this thread and Yuki is being an absolute GEM today. I have been keeping her leashed just in case, there was only one incident where she tried to take something from him and because she was on the leash I was able to pull her away. Hope this is progress and not 'I'm not in the mood to steal his toys' day XD

We have three dogs, and take a very different approach to managing resource guarding: we don't. Both of my females do it. We let them work it out. Once in a while there's an issue, but rarely. We do keep many toys out for them. I believe in letting dogs sort out the heirarchy on their own, then reinforcing it. I read a really good article about this, but can't seem to find it now.

If one dog has something, and another wants to take it, fine. The only time that's not fine is if I'm using the toy to play with one of the dogs.

We don't coddle the one having stuff taken from him.

We have three dogs, and take a very different approach to managing resource guarding: we don't. Both of my females do it. We let them work it out. Once in a while there's an issue, but rarely. We do keep many toys out for them. I believe in letting dogs sort out the heirarchy on their own, then reinforcing it. I read a really good article about this, but can't seem to find it now.

If one dog has something, and another wants to take it, fine. The only time that's not fine is if I'm using the toy to play with one of the dogs.

We don't coddle the one having stuff taken from him.

thats an interesting way of looking at it....makes sense too

http://www.mmilani.com/canine-pack-dynamic.html

http://www.azhumane.org/PDFs/behavior/dogs/caninerivalry.pdf

this works for us. It makes sense too. You are never going to teach a dog to share; that's a human idea that dogs don't understand.

obviously aggression, real fights need to be addressed, as no one wants their dog hurt. But competition for things is normal.

We have only had one incident, my gsd nipped my puppy pretty hard for trying to take things. This was after many warnings from my gsd. The puppy learned her lesson.

To op, if it were me, I would let it sort itself out. They are very young, and are learning. I think you trying to balance them isn't natural for them. Eventually cloud will stand up for himself, or yuki will stop bullying him.

Anyone else do it like we do?