Raw eggs and sibes

ISDW

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I just read on a general dog forum that a sibe owner has been told never to give raw eggs to sibes. I will give my lot raw eggs on occasion, shell and all, and they have been known to steal the shell off work surfaces - I know, a husky counter surfing, who would have thunk it!

Anybody know if there is a reason why sibes in particular shouldn't be given raw eggs?

oh this was discussed on another thread the other day - and for the life of me i can't think which one it was :confused: I know there was a great link posted there as well - will have a mooch and see if i can find it.

I give my boys raw and they're fine with it - and yup - funnily enough - my boys counter surf as well if they get the chance - they soooo know when they've done it though as i get a very sheepish look from them LOL

I'm not completly sold on raw feeding. I know there are some who swear by it, and feel very passionate about the subject. Eggs can carry bacteria. So that's the only thing I can think of that could possibly be a reason to "not" feed raw eggs to a Husky. Eggs can also invoke some putrid smelling farts in dogs (can I say farts?). In general, eggs help with coat stability and shine.

Can't think of anything bad, certainly in UK with stringent salmonella control and lion-marking.

Ours get them and get the whole egg, shell and all. Excellent boost of protien, vitamins and minerals. You might want to feed them outside though till your dog learns the art of carrying them off without breaking them ;) They can learn how to have a remarkably gentle mouth and amazes me how jaws that can anialate large raw bones can also carry a raw egg off down the garden without breaking it.

Thanks for the replies, I've read the other thread and the link as well, nothing bad there.

The woman that posted on the other forum has a 10 month old sibe and had read in Huskies for Dummies not to give raw eggs to sibes because the avidin destroys the B vitamin biotin - whatever that means. So she thought it was just something to watch out for with sibes, and no other breed. We all know how weird their digestion can be sometimes!

Some of my dogs love eggs, some don't want to know, they all have their little idiosyncracies don't they, which is why we love them:D

Cooking an egg destroys the Biotin Im told. Free range eggs are also a very good source of natural zinc. If ours are doing a race and not getting their normal full morning feed early, they all get an egg first thing. Little bit of high-energy power-food for them to run on without having anything too heavy sat in their stomachs :)