Garres and the nursery.....what do I do???

Hi everyone.

I have recently done the nursery for the new baby. However, every time Garres comes in and has access to the nursery, he pee's EVERY where in there.:icon9: This is very new for him. He still gets lots of love and attention, and the only change is the new room. I don't know what to do. I don't want to isolate him and not let him have free roam of the house as he has had, but I can't handle him peeing in the babies room. Please, any advice would be great and appreciated.

I think dogs pick up changes in the home & want to mark or perhaps 'own' something - Diesel, when his 'other half' had his pups (in his previous home) he went round their house spraying everything belonging to the female human of the house, usually in her bedroom as he then had run of the whole house. I agree with Sarah, use a baby / puppy gate on the nursery door alone so he still has access to 90% of the house, just not this room & see how he goes with that.

Well, the first night went great. However, last night he jumped the baby gate. :(

Do you guys think getting him fixed will fix this problem? Or an even better question is this....Do you think he will try to pee on the baby when I have her?

We love Garres to death, and this is such a shock for us. We don't want to have to isolate him from the baby and her things...nor do we want to have to re home him because of this.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!! Thank you everyone!

If you have just decotated the Nursery then his smell from befor would probably have gone so he is most likely just Marking his Territory, imo he should not be allowed anywhere near the nursery, this is your new babys room and should stay that way for a while, you should think about just closing the door and teaching him that the babies room is out of bounds, there is no need for him to go in there, he can meet and sniff the baby on your terms not his, but has no need to go into babies room he has enough house to roam around one room wont matter and he will soon get use to it.........

As a Rule we dont let Grey in the bedroom but sometimes he will trot in behind me when Im putting clothes/clean washing away but thats on my terms and say so and not his :)

Maybe Garres could go in there and have a sniff but only when you invite him in??? Your not being mean by keeping him out of the nursey cause Garress will have to learn that your family pack will change slighty once baby comes along, as long as he is still getting love & attention from the family and is pretty much allowed everywhere else in the house I think in time he sould settle into the new rules.

Include Garres in family activities and socialize around Baby but maybe just have a few boundaries :)

When we first rehomed Grey he would pee all over the place cause it was a new & strange home with new owners but with lots of love, Fuss, play & lots of reassurance he settled in and stoped all the peeing.

Hope it works out for you keep us posted x x

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have gotten a baby gate and use it at the foot of the stares. Neither one of the boys has access to the bedrooms, unless they fallow me up while i'm putting laundry away.

Garres is doing well, he doesn't even seem to notice that I've blocked them from up stares :)

Thank you to everyone and all of your advice, the new baby is not due until Dec so I will keep everyone posted on how he does when we bring her home :)

my 2nd son was due 23rd Dec, I so wanted him to be early, but the lazy sod arrived 5th January!! Apparently oily fish helps near the end of the pregnancy (I hate fish, maybe that's why both of mine were 2 weeks late!).

Keep us posted how things are going - my 2 huskies never go upstairs unless we say so which is probably once a week on average, & it does them no harm whatsoever, I think he'll settle down for you & all will be OK

eewww I hate fish lol

This is my fourth, and ironically this is the first "normal" pregnancy I have had lol My first three where all early, my son the earliest at 25 wks. They where all healthy thankfully and required no time in the NCICU and where able to leave when I left :) I know I will be doing marathons the week before my due date tho lol :)

Garres is actually surprising me, he doesn't even attempt to go near the stares when the gate is up. But he will jump out the window on my back door if he needs to potty and i'm busy with the kids or dinner or something lol

He is for sure the only dog I have ever owned that has such a personality lol Kane will fallow me like my 3 yr old when he wants something, but Garres will wait until i'm done lol

yeah, I gotta admit, huskies are a breed all of their own, they are like no other dog I've come across. Glad Garres isn't playing up for you when you put the gate up, just accepted it, go Garres!!

Good luck with baby No 4, have a go on a trampoline the week you want to deliver, I'm sure it'll start you off!!

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

Garres is still doing well with the baby gate up to the nursery.

He is not happy that he can't be with me when I am sick, neither of the boys are, but they will have to get over that :) I had a stomach virus and was stuck in bed for 3 days.....they both sat at the bottom of the stairs and whined....but when my husband let them up they wouldn't even leave my side to go out to potty lol He had to fight with them :) But that will be our next training session :)

• 2 weeks later...