Kai Diaries

What a great way to share how Kai is doing! I will try my best to update this as often as possible! :D I will start with this past week just to catch people up...

Week 1:

I started to muzzle train Kai after our "bite" incident because I wanted to prevent something like that from happening again. (I also worry about the kids in the neighborhood!) Anyways, I bought him a softie muzzle (one that goes directly over his nose and mouth so he has no way of biting) and we have started with little training. I wasn't sure how to go about training him, so I did some research online. We started with getting him adjusted to the muzzle (I put treats near/on/in it for him to stick his face near/in it. That didn't take long, he is VERY treat motivated. Next we moved to him wearing it for short periods of time. Suprisingly enough he became very comfortable wearing it when we went out for our potty breaks. After 3 days of "small training" we started taking small walks around the culdesac, around my building complex, and then around to the next street and back. All was wonderful! Of course, all good things must come to an end. I began to slowly introduce him to the dogs we normally walk with. Meesha (female GSD) was first, there was NO problem, I actually think the muzzle scared her! Next came her brother Sammy (male GSD) and there was NO way in hell (pardon my language again) Kai was going to have anything to do directly with that dog. He growled, wagged his tail like crazy and was standing like he was very proud (chest sticking out). So we removed Sammy from the situation and Kai went back to being normal. The next day we began our walk as normal but this time I let Kai sniff all the dogs before we walked. Just the act of letting him sniff them made him feel better and we went on a walk with no issue. When we went in the back for playtime though, everytime Sammy would run past him he would bark and jump up trying to go after him.

Since that night, we have a method to start him with (to get him use to his "gang" of dogs we walk with:

1. I walk outside before everyone and have Kai sit.

2. One by one, each dog that we walk with comes by to sniff and say "hello"

3. We all walk together and whenever Kai starts to get edgy (or tries to take off his muzzle) I jerk on his leash (and his prong collar) and say "Kai, NO" in a stern voice, but keep on walking. (he really has improved in this aspect unless it's a new dog...I keep on walking trying to call him with me, but he tries to cut infront of me or behind me to get to that dog. This I need help with! Suggestions??)

4. When he DOES walk correctly, or passes by a dog with no problem I praise him VERY highlighy (in that very annoying baby voice that he LOVES hahaha)

5. Once we are done with our walk, we somtimes have playtime. I make Kai sit quietly and watch as the dogs play (is this wrong? I just want him to get use to being around them before I allow him to have any contact with them, trying to prevent an altercation!). When we don't have playtime, the dogs say "goodbye" to eachother the same way they did when they say "hello" to eachother.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this in how I am training him. I am basing everything I am doing off of research I have done online, as well as suggestions from other people. Thanks! I will update again soon with a progress report/incident report (hopefully not the second one!!).

"5. Once we are done with our walk, we somtimes have playtime. I make Kai sit quietly and watch as the dogs play (is this wrong? I just want him to get use to being around them before I allow him to have any contact with them, trying to prevent an altercation!). When we don't have playtime, the dogs say "goodbye" to eachother the same way they did when they say "hello" to eachother."

I think this is great - it eases him in gently and gives you control :up:

Great thread added to rep

• 2 weeks later...

Another SUPER update on Kai!

I'm not sure even what week it is anymore (haha) but Kai has really astounded me with his behavior. Last week my husband and I had to take a trip to another military post 4 hours away and we couldn't get room at a kennel for the dogs, so my neighbor Veronica (who also has 2 huskies, 1 male 1 female) offered to take care of them. I figured "ok, they'll just stay in the kennel and she will walk/check on them" but actually what she ended up doing was bring my 2 over to her house with her 2! I was scared to death that Kai was going to attack and/or seriously hurt one of her dogs, but he had no issues what so ever. It was AMAZING! I kept calling every few hours to check in and Kai and Wolf (her male) were actually PLAYING together!! When I first got Kai, Wolf was the first male dog he ever met, and of course, they got into a fight (Kai was not neutered at the time). But now that Kai is neutered (and after the fight of course) I think they have a respect for eachother. They can actually play with eachother and not get to carried away. YAY KAI! So it just thrilled me beyond all belief. (as weird as I may sound, I kinda wanted to cry I was so happy-haha).

Right now, as we speak, all 3 huskies (Cypra, Kai, and Wolf) are at my house and they are behaving wonderfully. I think Kai has no beef with Wolf anymore. I really hope this is step #1 in his behavior change! :) Here are some pictures of the gang together...it makes me want a whole FARM of huskies! :D

100_3492.jpg

100_3497.jpg

Jackie, that is a big step forward for Kai & yourself, no wonder you wanted to cry - GO KAI!!!!!!!!!

They all look really relaxed with each other, a weight off your mind, I bet! I hope you can load the other pics, if you're having probs, try PM-ing Marc & telling him what you're doing & what message you get, he may be able to figure it out ... would love to see his progress ....... oh, & keep on with the updates!! xx

omg so one of the scariest things just happened!

there was a group of like 10 military guys doing trash pickup in our backyard and Kai took one look at all of them walking into my backyard and he totally freaked out. He was "scream-crying" and freaking out and I couldn't figure out why, and once the guys came right infront of my windows, Kai hunkered down to the floor and was shaking so hard. I went over to pet him and try to comfort him and he peed all over the floor. He is still shaking! I am thinking maybe he had a flashback about his abuse? (it was done by a military man) He has only had 1 episode like this before, and it was right after i got him, and was only with 1 guy in uniform. All I felt like I could do was comfort him and just keep on petting him telling him it would be ok. I closed the curtains over the windows until they left and then opened them back up. Right now Kai is laying next to me with his head on my lap and he refuses to leave my side. That's a good sign, right? Like he trusts me? Does anyone have any advice on what I could possibly do if he happens to have another episode like this? I worry since we live on a military post and there are men in uniform everywhere. Maybe he was worried because it looked like they were coming to "his house"? I don't know! I just feel like hugging him and loving on him all day long to show him how safe he is. My poor baby!!