The Training Poll

I agree that it would depend on the situation.

I don't really see the point in telling the dog no, removing them and then giving them a command (like sit/down). If I want them to stop doing something, generally I will give them a command and I expect them to follow through.

It definately depends on the situation and how 'sevre' the situation is.

Before we started what we are doing now we used to give them a firm no and remove them from the situation but now we do either of these, depending on what unacceptable situation they are doing,but with any situation we do not say anything to them -

Method 1) Ignore them

Method 2) Calm Freeze

Method 3) Isolate them from the pack / Detention

I aggree it depends completely on the situation.

one situation could call for a vastly different response from another.

I mean, you should never hit a dog. I can tell you that much. Never ever. You arent teaching them anything except to be afraid of you. And thats not what you want. Dogs dont understand hitting.

just wanted to put it out there for the new puppy owners because most younger puppies will not respond to being ignored.

Ignoring can work, it really depends on if the behaviour has become a habit or if it's the puppy experimenting. It's easier to ignore the puppy trying various behaviours on than it is ignoring a behaviour the puppy has already learnt he can win with.

Once a behaviour has become a habit ignoring it becomes harder because you often run into extinction bursts, where the puppy just tries harder and more persistently with the behaviour before finally giving up.

With pups there are times I will ignore behaviour and times I might silently remove them, there are times I might correct them with a 'no' - all really dependent on the situation, what the pup's already learned, and what behaviour I want to shape.

Try to do my best in any situation. Sometimes the worst has to be done and a pop with the leash across the nose and a solid no, but always try to end it all on a positive note. Never punish with the hand. They do not know if punishment or pleasure is coming and may bite out of fear. Making them realize you are in charge and good things happen when commands are followed.

This is true, absolute understanding of leadership is extremely important. I have never had to hit chewy, but Im sure it has to do with the fact that I never gave him the chance to get the wrong idea about who exactly is the boss. with some muscle and determination he just followed happily. Muscle didnt really come into play until he was about 6 months old though...when he realized very suddenly he was bigger and that his muscles were made for pulling...we soon got that cleared up though...lol.

Ignoring can work, it really depends on if the behaviour has become a habit or if it's the puppy experimenting. It's easier to ignore the puppy trying various behaviours on than it is ignoring a behaviour the puppy has already learnt he can win with.

Once a behaviour has become a habit ignoring it becomes harder because you often run into extinction bursts, where the puppy just tries harder and more persistently with the behaviour before finally giving up.

With pups there are times I will ignore behaviour and times I might silently remove them, there are times I might correct them with a 'no' - all really dependent on the situation, what the pup's already learned, and what behaviour I want to shape.

I agree to that, added to rep :)

Its not just puppies that will try harder for their own way but any age of dog. My 3 will try harder all the time to get their own way. With what is going at the moment (and no getting much sence from everyone else at home!) they are constantly testing for consistency - ignore them they will try something else that used to work or try harder, put them into calm freeze they get straight back up and go back to what they were doing, put them into solitude they protest and come back out and will either go back to what they were doing or will settle down. Its all about being constant with the corrections we use and depedning on what they are doing the same correction should be used as that is what are testing us for, the consistency IMO

I agree to that, added to rep :)

Its not just puppies that will try harder for their own way but any age of dog. My 3 will try harder all the time to get their own way. With what is going at the moment (and no getting much sence from everyone else at home!) they are constantly testing for consistency - ignore them they will try something else that used to work or try harder, put them into calm freeze they get straight back up and go back to what they were doing, put them into solitude they protest and come back out and will either go back to what they were doing or will settle down. Its all about being constant with the corrections we use and depedning on what they are doing the same correction should be used as that is what are testing us for, the consistency IMO

I agree :) You have to be careful if you ignore because you can run into an extinction burst no matter how old your dog is.

Dogs learn in three stages: they experiment, they gain success and the behaviour becomes a habit. Once a behaviour has become a habit it can be hard to break because the dog knows that it can win with that behaviour. When they gain success with a behaviour they will pull it out any time they think it might work.

I agree :) You have to be careful if you ignore because you can run into an extinction burst no matter how old your dog is.

Dogs learn in three stages: they experiment, they gain success and the behaviour becomes a habit. Once a behaviour has become a habit it can be hard to break because the dog knows that it can win with that behaviour. When they gain success with a behaviour they will pull it out any time they think it might work.

My 3 sound like a perfect example of that! :o:o:o

That is until now anyway ;)