leash training

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been looking online for the best way to leash train my puppy when i get her and there seems to be alot of different ways. some more creul then others and i was wondering how did you guys train your huskies? what methods did you use and which worked fo ryou and which didnt?

Not sure what methods you are referring to that are 'cruel', but when it comes to leash training a puppy if you get it right you will have no need to use training tools or anything bar a leash and collar.

Dogs pull on the leash because we teach them that's how to get where they want to go. The key to teaching a pup or dog to walk nicely on a leash is to teach them the opposite - that as soon as they pull on the leash causing the leash to go taut, you will either stop or change direction.

Once you've got your pup used to the leash and collar work on getting her to walk next to you. Do not stop walking - if she lags behind call her to you and if she pulls on the leash, immediately turn sharply on your heel in a 180 degree turn and walk the other way. Teach her that tension on the leash means she no longer gets to walk where she wants to go. When she's walking nicely beside you, reward her with a treat or toy and lots of praise.

At home work on teaching her the 'look' command. When she's walking nicely on the leash you can then start to implement this on walks as a way of getting her focus on you.

Remember that pups should not be exercised too strenuously when they are still growing because too much exercise can impact on their growing joints. Five minutes per month of age is the general rule (i.e. for an eight week old pup, ten minutes of walking max each day).

It would be a long post and i believe i posted it before. If i find it i will cut, copy and post. But really here is how I train my dogs.

Getting Use to the Collar and/or Leash

Lot of people think they can just put a collar and/or leash on a dog and they will get it. Some are successful to a point.

I train my dogs buy hooking the leash to their collar and let them walk around in the house with it for about 10-15 mins 4x a day. No one is holding the leash just the puppy getting over the "what the heck is this?" part. I do this for 1 week. It will allow them be comfortable and familiar with it. They would look at it as a normal "just another toy/thing with me"

Holding the leash for the first time

Now that they got familiar with the leash just being there now time for you and your puppy to be familiar with holding it. Puppies are playful and huskies mare more playful (at least i think so). I don't suggest ok lets walk now...but picking up the leash and the only time you will allow your dog to walk you. To get up and just take off will most likely cause him to pull in any directions. Two to three times a day when you but leash on pick it up and allow your pupp y (once again the only time you will allow your dog to walk you) around the house. Do this for 3 days.

First Walk

We suggest that your first walk to be in the house vs. outside. Couple of reason are.

1. Your dog knows the house and surroundings

2.. Allows less amount of distractions

3. Allows the both of you to focus.

So walk your dog around the house three time for one day. Nest day walk your dog in the area where they go potty. Once again this is a familiar area . you both are getting outside the house for the first time to walk and less exposed to more people, dogs, and/or other wild life. Do this for how many times you let your puppy out to potty for 2 days.

*note: This would be a great time to introduce your puppy to the command sit and also getting your puppy trained to know that you walk out first then the puppy follows (A dominate and Pack Leader trait) Dont expect to get this right the first couple of times. If you do than GREAT JOB!

The Real first walk

So you have worked you way up to having your first walk. Now you seen me state "the only time your dog will walk you". I say this because i often see people being walked (pulled) by their dogs. With that i also see in dog parks how that gets them into trouble. Not always, but could cause a dog fight, some child to be scared, pulled because they want to chase a cat or game. We think it is very important for you to walk your dog and have complete control over your dog walk especially with huskies because they are working breed who purpose is to pull. Now there are may different was to do this.

So Say that with a puppy its a great way to show them what you expect when walking. Once again going t take time so don't think you're doing it wrong. Don't allow your puppy to roam the full length of your leash right of the bat. Give them very limited leash . As they comply they earn more leash. So try (harder with puppies) to keep them withing 2-4 feet from you. I would also suggest don't allow them to go sniff around but only when you want them too. Why? Well it has been my experience that dogs sniff other dogs poop which is not good cause we no nothing about that dogs health. (Worms and other things that could kill/make your dog sick). Also because most people dont pay attention that their dog is sniffing...they could be eating something that you dont know about. Giving all this in mind walk your puppy

Have fun...but be aware while at the same time training. Know your what other dogs/cats are in the area, which run loose, which are aggressive, which are strays. For the first walk i do not suggest walking far and no more than 30 mins for the first walk. It's a big world out there. It is common for them to tug and pull until you get them to the point on how you want them to walk and trained. From that point each walk go a little further, the walk after than go little more further etc.

Once again our methods may not be the method for you and/or your dog. I am not say that anyone else method is the wrong way. I am just sharing with you my suggestion and experience.

Almost forgot. Reward your dog with praise and rewards treats. As you walk more and get further with your type of training if your husky (dog or puppy) i would suggest you stop right where you are and don't move a spot until they comply. When they do reward/praise. Also remember that you are the first person out the house and the first person in. We are against "Choke Chains" for dogs other than German Rottweilers and Pit bull. I would be glad to explain why in another post. If you are not going to do some type of sled training/Pulling training i would suggest getting a dog backpack for exercises and Energy Management. You can find them at PetSmart or Pecos.

Good Luck.

I don't really have a problem with check chains or whatever, but like I said in my last post - if you start off the right way with a pup you won't and shouldn't use anything other than a flat collar and leash to start with. Training tools like check chains, head collars etc should not be used on a pup.

the creul ways i was talkin about was where you take the dog out in the middle of no where, put a 20 ft long rope on it, let it run away from you and yank on the rope as hard as you can when it gets to the very end, and knock the dog off their feet. idk i think its creul and dont think ill use that method. and there was another that was recomended where you basicly drag the puppy by the leash and everytime they stop you smack them with a stick. i was appauld by that and i would never do that with my puppy. i love her too much to be hurt like that.

so how does it effect their joints when they get walked too much? does it stunt growth or does it make it easier for them to get hip displasia or what?

and also why are you against choke chains?

so how does it effect their joints when they get walked too much? does it stunt growth or does it make it easier for them to get hip displasia or what?

When a puppy is growing their joints are soft and still forming, too much exercise will put pressure on the joints when they are still growing and can cause things like hip displaysia and other joint problems.

I'm not against check chains as a tool, although I prefer martingales/half checks because they are more effective as you can fit them properly. However - when it comes to training puppies using tools like check chains are unnecessary, tools like that are generally used on dogs who have developed a hard habit of pulling on the leash etc. You don't need to use anything more than a flat collar and leash to teach a pup to walk on a loose lead.

Pack Leader: Check chain is what they are calling it now? I use a think harness with Lana. I don't really have problems with Lana pulling. When she does it'r rare and i give the command "slow" followed by a pull to the left side or her right. I avoid pulling backwards because i don't want to confuse her to think i am encouraging her to pull. When I want to work on Lana's natural instinct and want her to pull she does.

I have seen people use "check chains" with large breeds and seen them break. I agree with Smeagle that as pups you really don't need to use it and as they get older you will not need it either. As far as going to open field and that method of intentionally cause your dog to come their feet...why even get a dog if you are going to be that disgusting? I know i said everyone has their method of training but wrong is wrong! I am against any method that will cause harm, a dog to fear you, or neglect. I dont think i offended anyone here by say those type of people are disgusting so no need for apology.

My father and I are firm about abuse physically and mentally. We attempt to talk and help those type of people so that they dont feel that need to pratice those type of methods, however we have come across people that tell us go get lost in a not so respectful way. We back off like the said....right to a telephone to call and report animal cruelty.

Lana - if it's fit properly, it's a check chain because as soon as it tightens it releases (so it doesn't actually choke the dog). Modern training with a check chain is more about the sound than anything else, you use the sound the chain makes to 'cue' to the dog that they had done the wrong thing etc.

A cheap poorly made check chain could break, a good quality one won't... bit of a moot point for me as I find martingales far more effective. I still use my check chain when I wash the dogs as it can get wet and isn't too bulky.

the creul ways i was talkin about was where you take the dog out in the middle of no where, put a 20 ft long rope on it, let it run away from you and yank on the rope as hard as you can when it gets to the very end, and knock the dog off their feet. idk i think its creul and dont think ill use that method. and there was another that was recomended where you basicly drag the puppy by the leash and everytime they stop you smack them with a stick. i was appauld by that and i would never do that with my puppy. i love her too much to be hurt like that.

Well I am by no means an expert but I would say the above arn't training methods but tawture methods! All they will teach the dog is confusion, fear and possibley even aggression as they wouldnt know what it was you were trying to get them to do become confused, fearful and withdrawn and thats the recipy for an agressive animal! The only thing I can think is that those must be really OOOOOOLD methods that someone who hasnt worked in modern dog training is posting up on the internet!? Just goes to show its sooooo important to research throughly and belive the old addage dont believe everything you read!!!

Well I am by no means an expert but I would say the above arn't training methods but tawture methods! All they will teach the dog is confusion, fear and possibley even aggression as they wouldnt know what it was you were trying to get them to do become confused, fearful and withdrawn and thats the recipy for an agressive animal! The only thing I can think is that those must be really OOOOOOLD methods that someone who hasnt worked in modern dog training is posting up on the internet!? Just goes to show its sooooo important to research throughly and belive the old addage dont believe everything you read!!!

yeah theres too many people on the internet who think its ok to do all of these "home remidies" and put used motor oil on a dog for mange and other crap like that. idk i wish people would just get a grip on life and start getting into new age medicine insted of hurting and even killing their dogs/cats/etc...

Lana - if it's fit properly, it's a check chain because as soon as it tightens it releases (so it doesn't actually choke the dog). Modern training with a check chain is more about the sound than anything else, you use the sound the chain makes to 'cue' to the dog that they had done the wrong thing etc.

A cheap poorly made check chain could break, a good quality one won't... bit of a moot point for me as I find martingales far more effective. I still use my check chain when I wash the dogs as it can get wet and isn't too bulky.

i bought a collar at petsmart and it looked like it was half a regulare collar and half a choke chain. it works like a choke chain but at the same time it doesnt. it worked for my neighbors dogs (who are husky as well) and i figured it could work for my dog later on in life. anyone else know what im talking about?

the worst collars in my opinion are the choke chains with the pokie things in it that stab the throat. i could never see a reason to use one of those for any dog.

Prong collars? They look a bit like a medieval torture device but are actually a great tool - the prongs don't stick in the dogs neck but lie against it. IMO dogs that they are used on find them less aversive than tools like head collars. I've put one on myself and they don't hurt. They aren't for every dog, butvwhen you have a 70kg aggressive dog who weighs more than his owner, and wants to kill every dog in his sight they can be very useful.

but it just looks so painful. idk i wouldnt use it on my dog. theres too many other options out there to use. but in my opinion if theres a dog thats 70kg and wants to kill every dog in site i dont think i would take that dog out in public lol. i think id buy that dog a tred mill. :D

oh which by the way would you guys suggest a tredmill for a husky for better exersize? i mean along with regulare walks of course.

Iregret to say as yet we have had no probs with leash training:grinning-smiley-003 we put Max's collar on him when we picked him up and since then (just over a week )he has no trouble waklinkg where we want him to go.He sits before his lead is put on and so far has been as good as gold;)I am sure this is the calm before the storm but so far so good !!!

but it just looks so painful. idk i wouldnt use it on my dog. theres too many other options out there to use. but in my opinion if theres a dog thats 70kg and wants to kill every dog in site i dont think i would take that dog out in public lol. i think id buy that dog a tred mill. :D

I thought it looked quite horrible too until I put one on myself and learnt how they worked, then saw them 'in action' so to speak.

Some people go through every other option. Although, if the prong collar was the best solution for the dog, I wouldn't waste my time with anything else. Like the 70kg dog aggressive dog - a head collar or anti pull harness won't make a world of difference to him. A prong and a proper training program could mean he could be walked outside of the home and make him far more controllable for the owner. Each to their own obviously :)

oh which by the way would you guys suggest a tredmill for a husky for better exersize? i mean along with regulare walks of course.

I wouldn't use one (and definitely don't use one when your husky is a pup) but I know someone who does to give her husky extra execise and she enjoys it. Not my cup of tea though.