Not so good update on my friend's kitty Cleo :(

He posted this on FB today :(

Cleo's tumor removal surgery went well, however the biopsy result came back as Fibrosarcoma. Now two weeks after surgery, the site is not healing, her 'pinky' toe next to the site is dead, the toe on the other side is either enflamed or developing a new tumor. Due to the fact that it is not healing I have to take her in every 3-4 days to get bandages changed. Dr. Spath said the best bet for no tumor to grow back and for her to be healthy for years to come is to amputate the entire arm, because jsut taking the foot or up to the elbow she would probably still try to walk on it and end up hurting something else. I absolutely REFUSE to have her put down, she has SO much more life in her, it would be the worst thing to do to her to cut it when she has so much more.

I'm going to help him set up a donation page as there's no way he could afford this amputation so wish us luck guys and gals this is going to be one hard fight and Cleo's going to be the one fighting it :(

Thank you everyone it went well last time but took a while so hopefully this time it will go faster either way you can't argue with the kindess of people's hearts. Does ANYONE know an animal that's been this age and under gone an amputation ok? She's 15 and this is a bit more major than having a toe and paw pad removed :(

Edited by aronoiiel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just catching up with this. I know cats normally live longer than dogs but my first dog had a large lump removed from his side when he was 15 and in good health - he only lasted 3 months after the op and I wouldn't choose the same option again. His lump was just fatty tissue so not really causing any harm. I just felt so guilty afterwards. It didn't help that I left him at my mums while we went to my brothers for new year and he went downhill so very quickly my parents had to deal with letting him go on new years day. So not really what you want to hear, but that was my experience and I would need to think long and hard should I need to put an older pet through the trauma for the sake of a few months extra.

I hope all goes well with the cat.

Thank you for that Angela I really appreciate it :) He's been taking her every 3-4 days to the vet to get her bandage changed and to remove dead tissue from the surgery site. It is finally starting to heal so after a long discussion I think they have decided to forgo the amputation. I will also mention your experience to him today as he is still unsure of what he is going to do.