what should Xavier be Eating?

hey guys.. we picked up Xavier last wednesday, the breeder showed us what he had been eating and told us to keep feeding him that, the food he is eating is cheep, dont no how to describe it but it looks like a big thick sausage with the package round it.. they said to feed him half a day! he eats this fine and finishes every meal! visited the pet store and they told me that he shouldnt be eating that and it isnt supplying him with the protein and nutrients he needs.. so we the dry large puppy food, gave that to him yesterday and he is not taking to it at all! has a few bites then just walks away! im worried now we have changed his food he isnt eating as much! have tried mixing it in with his old food but he still isnt eating as much as he did when we got him.. what should a 7 week old puppy be eating and how often should he be eating? thanks guys!

hey guys.. we picked up Xavier last wednesday, the breeder showed us what he had been eating and told us to keep feeding him that, the food he is eating is cheep, dont no how to describe it but it looks like a big thick sausage with the package round it.. they said to feed him half a day! he eats this fine and finishes every meal! visited the pet store and they told me that he shouldnt be eating that and it isnt supplying him with the protein and nutrients he needs.. so we the dry large puppy food, gave that to him yesterday and he is not taking to it at all! has a few bites then just walks away! im worried now we have changed his food he isnt eating as much! have tried mixing it in with his old food but he still isnt eating as much as he did when we got him.. what should a 7 week old puppy be eating and how often should he be eating? thanks guys!

If he's seven weeks now and you've had him a week, he must have been about six weeks old when you bought him home? That's very young to be leaving his mum and his litter mates :(

It sounds like a processed dog roll that they advised you to feed him. I would steer clear of food like that, it has very little nutritional value. I'm quite surprised the breeder recommended it to you.

What brand of dried food are you feeding? You should change his food gradually, not all of a sudden - start by mixing in 1/4 of the new food to 3/4 of the old food and slowly decrease it from there.

If he's healthy he won't starve himself. If he doesn't eat within 15 minutes pick his food up and give it to him at his next meal time.

You can also incorporate raw meaty bones like chicken wings and necks into his diet, as well as mixing in natural yoghurt, raw egg or tinned sardines into his biscuits.

yeah thats the stuff! different make though.. not a brand ive ever heard of.. ridiculosuly cheep to buy aswell.. im feeding him the brand of the pet store "Pets at home" will try giving him on his next feed 3/4s of his original 1 and add 1/4 of the dry puppy food.. we also have had to worm him since yesterday which involves putting the powder into his food.. would that make a difference?

Firstly its very bad the breeder weaned him onto such crap! Secondly all breeders should wean puppies onto a high quality dry puppy food, even if you intend to feed raw the wise thing is for them to be having kibble. Alaska and Balto were weaned onto James Wellbeloved and are still on it today, im affraid your breeder has stupidly got him addicted to doggy junk food, which you would you rather eat tofu of Mc D's >> many may say tofu but i would say Mc D's:rolleyes:

James Wellbeloved has a huge variety: Lamb, Turkey, Duck, White Fish ........It is sensitive on the tummy and has a great taste to it...which i know from creative research:D

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog_food.aspx

Hes being stubborn to no fualt of his own, but dont give in, keep putting it down so he will realise thats all the food hes getting, trust me >> dont give in or you'll have a very fussy sibe which can be common in the breed! A 7 week old puppy should be eating less than half a mug a day spread out into 3 meals. Take a handful of kibble and put it in some water in his bowl >> hes not used to dry food and his teeth will need some help, by adding the warm water it will soften it for him and even highten flavour. So a non heaped handful in his bowl 3 times a day >> some puppies eat more though. Remember the guidlines on the back of dog food does not relate to Siberians, a fully grown male only eats (on average) 3 cups of kibble a day, a rotti or GSD may eat double, 6/7 cups a day. Alaska (girl) eats 2 cups a day and Balto (boy) eats 2/1/2 cups a day and their 1 yrs.

hope this helped

That's a good site for evaluating dog foods:

www.dogfoodanalisys.com

And this explains really well what a dog food should contain:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

Regarding the food change - many say you should do it gradually, however, when I did this with Kremlin, he had diarrhea, so I did it all at once and he was fine.

As that site says, you should choose a food for him based on the first 5 ingredients. It would be best that meat is the first ingredients, not cereals. Also, it's recommended that the meat is a specific one, e.g chicken, not poultry. By all means avoid by-products!

Obviously, avoid preservatives and coloured foods.

That site is really interesting, it really reveals a lot regarding dog food.

You don't have to feed him the most expensive food on the market, because there are lot that are bad enough (for example, Purina) and there are some reasonably priced that are good for him.

he sounds like he was too young to be taken away from his mum if kept with the mum longer iv'e heard they will bulk up more and grow better although the breeder i got oscar from he advised natural yoghurt and complete oil and protein biscuit meals i can, undertand the yoghurt as it is a bit of a subtitute for his mums milk, i can't really lecture because im new to huskys myself but thats what it seems like im sure he will be fine.

I have been through allsorts of food with Sesi. I tried Purina and she just walked away from it. She had Salmon and Potato by Wainwrighst for a while but half way through the bag she whent off of it. Talk about a stuburn Sibe she whent 3 days and refused to eat it. Shes now settled on WAGG i buy the working dog varaity as its got a higher protein content and also VAT free a 17kg bag for 10. She has a good coat and she seems to thrive on it.