Raw bargains

Sarah

Wow I'm impressed :D

As some of you know, Marc and myself have come to Oxford for the bank holiday weekend with Kimba and Kaiser and yesterday, Linda and I went shopping - taking the mens cash cards with us ;) ;)

We went to the butchers and got so much meat!!! I'm taking 4 trays of lamb ribs home and a tray of pork trotters my boys are in their element! I so need to find a good butchers near me as had no idea just how cheap it is to feed barf! 4 trays for 3.00 and there's 3 days worth of food for 2 dogs if i fed raw twice a day :D

Here are a few pics of my boys eating their tea last night.

I have worked out that if i fed raw alternating with kibble every other day i would save around 25 a month :byebye:

SDC12094.JPG SDC12093.JPG SDC12090.JPG SDC12089.JPG SDC12088.JPG

it all depends on the butcher to be honest sarah, in our local town we have two, the first will charge 3 pounds for a small pack of flavoured mince, which they call thier pet pack, the second (which we use) supplies a mince/offal/tripe "sauasge!, which is freezable, and about double the amount of the mince pack, for 70p! and if we buy several, he usually throws in a bone or two free also

Guest AllenM

Pagan has been on a barf diet since she was weened,, i was a bit sceptical at first but as the breeders supplied us with a lot of food for her when we picked her up i thought sod it we will carry on with it and see how she goes and although we have only had her a few days i have already noticed a big difference in her stools compared to myas and other dogs that are fed on just kibble ,, the stools are so m uch firmer and smaller and its so easy to pick up after her. i for one will definately be keeping her on a barf diet.

the nthing about a barf diet is that there is alot less natural wastage, by that i mean the diet contains no artificial additives or fillers such as gluten and corn or even salt and sugar, making it easier for the dog to digest and process. be careful with amounts, they dont need that

just remember guys, if you havent fed your dogs barf before, to start them on it gently, add small bits with thier regular meals and increase daily, a sudden change can give them very upset tummies

I think if you are just going over to Barf because that's what you want to do then that is good advice Ade, but if you take a case like Kiana then it may be prudent to just go over in one hit. I'll explain.....

Kiana was very poorly about 4 - 5 weeks ago, she constantly had diarreah although she was still her usual bouncy self and didn't really seem out of sorts, the diarreah was so bad in the end it was like water.

I took her to the vet and they did some tests gave her antibiotics and we went away thinking that if it was a bug then she'd be fine in a few days. After a few days she was still as bad, so on the advice of our illustrious leader (Sarah) i decided to try her on chicken wings and natural live yoghurt.

Within a day she was pretty much back to normal, no diarreah.

It would seem that any type of biscuit/kibble gives Kiana diarreah, so if i'd introduced her slowly she would have continued to have diarreah until i removed the biscuit completely from her diet.

I only found that out because i wanted to start adding kibble back into her diet, so added id to the raw chicken wings in small amounts and even the slightest amount upsets her stomach.

Looks like she's on raw completely now, but in hindsight it's not a bad thing, it's all natural and it does work out cheaper than most processed dog foods.

Steve

Same thing happened in this house Steve. Smithy can't 'do' kibble of any sort (have to be careful with treats) he was fine on tinned meat though, until he stopped eating it for days:eek: (even Noushka stopped eating it) then found out about this BARF thingy and changed straight away, no problems. All that was about 2.5 years ago and have not looked back since:D

Guest AllenM

Im following the breeders advice right now and she is being fed a 400g block per day split over 4 meals, she has a cpl of raw chunks and a scattering of kibble,, but bear in mind she isnt cleaning her bowl every time,, she is only eating her fill and no more, anything thats left after 15 mins is disposed of.As it is raw it needs to be kept rly fresh so leaving it any longer to sit is just asking for trouble i think.