Help, advice needed :(

Akira26

There is no way I would ever want to do any thing that would cause my puppy to be fearful or submissive around me, I just want to do what is right by her :) I had to set guidelines in my household for when my family members came over so they know what to do and what not to do because unfortunately some of them do not share the same views as me which is really quite sad.

I use a treat based system which has worked a treat (lol with the exception of the nipping) she learns the things in training really fast and well she's almost housetrained aswell! All of the replies I have recieved to day has really helped me see that I am on the right tracks - its nice to know as I was doubting myself.

Thank you very much once again Smeagle and Ice.

I will start to crate her during the day for a few mins and increasing it then, she usually only goes in there during the day (due to me) when I have to clean the floor lol She thinks the mop is great fun.

I never even thought of using the leash for feeding her - that would of really helped in the begining lol, That is really helpful info, I shall put that into practice as she doesn't look up to me before she goes for her food currently (my own doing of course as I never encouraged her to do so.)

Thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The proof is in the pudding i guess, many members on here have and do use the Cesar tech and with great success, and weve all seen vids of your sibe doing the heel and hes clearly a confident, happy, devoted sibe:D Just wanted to let members know there are different ways to train but the main point is in all training is that it should be positive..use treats and rewards for good behaivor instead of always punishing them, its just sometimes they do need a correction or a little direction to calm them down:)

Just in case there's any confusion - I'm definitely not advocating positive only training, I do think there's a place for all four quadrants of dog training and that includes negative reinforcement. I don't think you need to use punishment when raising a baby pup, just as I won't use punishment as a way of teaching the commands I want my dogs to learn.

I don't like the alpha roll for reason I've talked here before, the biggest reason is that I don't feel confident enough that using it will give me the desired result and that it's the safest and best way to get the behaviour I want. Considering that you see Cesar getting bitten when doing it all the time, I don't want to put myself in a position where there's a high chance I will be bitten :) I worry about the fact that if it does go wrong and the dog takes me up the challenge, that not only have I been bitten, but I've taught the dog that it's able to physically over power me and that it can win doing so. A dog that sees you as alpha doesn't need to be alpha rolled, because respect is there already - and if they don't see you as alpha, that's not something that can be fixed purely by pinning them to the ground.

If other people feel confident using it and most importantly, it works for their dogs, that's the most important thing. But IMO it's important when we're recommending methods to other people that they are aware of any potential risks or dangers involved in using them.

I never even thought of using the leash for feeding her - that would of really helped in the begining lol, That is really helpful info, I shall put that into practice as she doesn't look up to me before she goes for her food currently (my own doing of course as I never encouraged her to do so.)

If you have her on the leash and in a stay you will find she will look to you to eventually, trying to see what will work. When she does this undo the leash release her with you release word. If she doesn't look to you, say her name, and release her as soon as she looks at you. You can build the length of time she looks at you up the more you do it :)

Couldn't agree more! Training is heavily opinions based anyway, so often trainers and dog owenrs do what works for them, like you said if one is not confident doing a certain tech then dont use it as it prob wont work if your not confident. And if and a dog has zilch respect for you teamed with the fact its an agressive dog >> pinning it down is very unlikely to work. Cesar has what i call the "perfect energy" for dogs and people...which most people will never possess...some things must be don with other methods:)

Way to go Louise >> looks like your really taking the situation head on..a lot of sibe owners just give up and resort to shelters..as the breed is a rather challengeing one. Alaska and balto are crate trained..they have beds now but i can say it is a great thing to crate train a dog >> a noisy task at 1st tho lol Good luck and added to rep.

Couldn't agree more! Training is heavily opinions based anyway, so often trainers and dog owenrs do what works for them, like you said if one is not confident doing a certain tech then dont use it as it prob wont work if your not confident. And if and a dog has zilch respect for you teamed with the fact its an agressive dog >> pinning it down is very unlikely to work. Cesar has what i call the "perfect energy" for dogs and people...which most people will never possess...some things must be don with other methods:)

I totally agree - IMO Cesar has a very instinctive manner with dogs, however not many people can do what he does with the same results (which I don't always think are the best). You can tell that he has the dog's best interests at heart, and he really wants to do what he thinks is right by them. He handles dogs that many of the high horse, positive only trainers wouldn't be able to (or want to) touch. I like many of the things Cesar advocates, especially the message he sends to treat our dogs as dogs, not people, and to give them clear, consistent rules and boundaries. But like I do with most trainers I take bits and pieces that I know will work for me and my dogs :D

The most important thing with any trainer is not how they can handle dogs themselves, but how they can teach owners to handle their dogs effectively. I think this is one aspect where Cesar falls down because many people can't successfully use his methods. But that is getting off topic... :P

Thanks Ice :D

Theres no way I could resort to giving my lil Tala away, Heck no, No matter what she does I shall just work through it, Everything can be sorted one way or another. I researched the breed for ages before I took the leap so I knew what I was signing myself up for. :D Challenges just make life more interesting! Since day one my house has been turned upside down because of Tala, who would have thought an adorable furball such as herself would have had such a huge impact (I mean even my nan has fallen for her and that is huge lol) :D

Wow great thread! I had the same concern with Pongo, who is a little over 3 months old, a couple of days ago. He also is nipping a lot and we use a lot of the same techniques listed.

He also bites himself too. It is odd when he does this because it is more of how a cat would groom themselves kind of biting up on his legs and such. He also doesn't have a skin condition or fleas. I did notice that he does this when you scratch him with your finger tips/nails. He doesn't do it when we use a flat hand. I don't know if he thinks we're grooming him and he joins or what but it's kind of humorous! It's good to hear that someone else's dog is doing this too haha.

I don't know if I believe in the submissive position either. The breeder we got him from trains police dogs and she suggested when we first brought him home to roll him on his back, touch his feet and rub his belly while looking him in the eyes until he looked away. He tolerated this at a young age, but now he just doesn't like to stay on his back to be still for very long!

Great advice in this thread! I'll use some of it myself!:cool:

lots og good advise, wish i had this site when i first got Odin i had so many bruises when he was lil, no where to turn to nut we just kept on working with him and the only nips i get now is when my 2 have a disagrement or by accident xx

some great advice given by all