How much weight can a husky pull?

Elyse

So, I'm wondering how strong 'regular sized' huskies are.

I'm thinking, because Suka's heavier than other Sibes, he may have more pulling power...? He pulled my Mom over (she was around 220 pounds and Suka was around 78 pounds) from a standstill WHILE she was bracing herself! So, he was basically pulling over almost 3 times his weight!

Is that pulling ratio (3x their weight) normal for a husky?

It would depend on a lot of things, including the individual dog's size, build, and conditioning... Check out this thread by HuskyMom09 - http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/zapper-got-his-working-dog-title-pic-heavy.38584/#post-608994

Those are amazing photos - I can just imagine how much training goes into getting a husky/dog into the condition to do an event like that without injury. Will be interesting to know how much weight he can pull :)

It would depend on a lot of things, including the individual dog's size, build, and conditioning... Check out this thread by HuskyMom09 - http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/zapper-got-his-working-dog-title-pic-heavy.38584/#post-608994

Hm...that makes sense, then. Suka's not really conditioned to be a puller (having only an hourish walk each day and having minor arthritis in a hip), which is what surprised me, but he sure CAN pull! And even my brother, who is lighter at 170 pounds but is basically all muscle was STILL pulled over by Suka!

Thanks for showing me that thread - I love those pics!

Oh, and I just laughed...If PETA members say those pictures they're be all like 'cruelty to animals!' even though its obvious the dog is having a blast!

Let me add that in weigh in Zapper weighed 43lbs, he pulled a total of 960lbs day 1 and 1020lbs day 2...that's 23x his weight! He achieved his WD Title (working dog) and first leg to his WDX Title (working dog excellent). This is his first year pulling competitively!