House Training

Hey guys,

Just a quick query. Kodi is 9 months now and still not house broken properly. When we are in and it's a nice day we leave our back door open and he goes outside, and if the door is shut, he will bang it to let us know he needs to go (although not all the time). The problem is at night. We have never crate trained him (although he does have one where he eats, etc) as our Shar-Pei has the run of the house and we didn't see it as fair. We still need to put paper down for him, although to give him his due, he does go on the paper. Sometimes he has a temperamental stomach and runs out of paper, and then he just goes wherever. We have tried reducing the paper we leave as he associates this with a place where he can 'go' but it didn't work. He won't come and wake us in the night to let him out, and we have noticed that he seems to be scared of the dark (he doesn't like it if we don't leave any lights on). He will lie in his cage, but I am dubious about starting to crate train him as he will just mess everywhere.

How did you train yours? I just feel a bit hopeless, almost like I have missed something......any advice welcome!!!

Thanks x

I would still crate train him just because dogs don't like to go where they sleep. Dogs actually like the secure feeling they get from the crate and sometimes lay in there during the day when you're home! That's what Pongo does. I put some chew toys in there (nothing he can tear apart) and a towel and he enjoys the cool plastic. It is hard at first because they will cry.... A LOT. But eventually they get used to it. Pongo cried every hour on the hour his first night in the crate. Putting food and giving treats in the crate is a great way to start getting them to realize it is a positive thing. As for your shar having roam of the house, I can't say how they will react to that. Our cats have free roam and Pongo doesn't seem to mind since he likes his crate. When I had my toy poodle as a puppy he was in his crate to well over a year old just to be sure he didn't tear up the house. After that he was always in the laundry room when we left and he still enjoyed that. I can tell you that sometimes it's hard to break the paper training because we had a hard time with our yorkie. that's just some options. Good luck with the training!

Have you tried leaving the back door open at night to see if that makes a difference?

My husky sleeps outside (his choice!), the other two dogs are inside at night but we always leave our back door open enough for them to get in and out in case the need to go during the night or first thing in the morning.

i dont know what its like in oz but i would not leave my back door open at night, its likely that my house would not be the same when i woke up lol

We have a sliding door so we put a block in it so it's only open enough for the dogs to get in and out :D

Thank you for all your help. I have been chatting to my husband and we have decided to crate train kodi properly. We were out on Tuesday evening and when we came home he had chewed a hole in the cabinet in the kitchen and eaten loads of stuff (only plyboard so gonna build a new one) so we decided that he needs to be crated when we are out.

He ate his last pillow so we are going to get him a new one. Our Shar will sleep anywhere so we are going to try putting his basket next to the crate to see if he will sleep there and then Kodi won't be on his own.

Have uploaded some more photos. We took him to a bbq at a friends last week (detouring to my mum's first) and he was as good as gold (although I think my friend's sister in law may have a nagging daughter now!!).

oh how did i miss this thread :( oops

I think crate training is deff the way to go :) I crate tained my boys from day one and come about 10pm Kaiser goes and curls up in his as if to say mum turn the lights out i want to go to bed LOL

Keep us posted with how you get on :)

• 2 months later...

kodah started out crate training , when he learned not soil that we expanded his room to the whole kitchen whick is fenced off from all other area of the home, he earns hi freetime in living room area with family after and ONLY after he does his buisness outside if no buisness is done he goes back in fenced in area in kitchen while other dogs get to roam, sounds mean but has to be done that way, i'll take him out repeatly so he can get the freetime,,,,and of course always praise for job welll done.

Cant recommend crte training enough!

how often do you take her out to relieve herself.....oh, and take her on leash that way she does not run off to play..if when you take her out she does nothing put her back in cage and take her out again in 30 min's.......i never left kodah in cage for more than 3-5 hrs.....also a feeding schedule and feeding times...that way you can tell when it is time to go..routine, routine...routine

Im crate training my new puppy but its not workin like it has with the others. Its been a week and she is still doing #1 and 2 in the crate. And she is stepping all in it. I have never had a dog do this. What should I do?