The best time to breed?

She should have her first season soon if she's 12 months old - i wouldn't breed from her though until she is at least 2 years old. Even then, you would need to ensure you have had her hip and eye scored and also ensure that the stud has been hip and eye scored as well.

Are you breeding for yourself ?

I've never bred and don't intend to breed from my boys so haven't looked into it too much, but there are some very knowledgeable members here that will answer your questions better than i have :)

Our siberian is just over 12 months old, when do they start to come on heat? How many litters is healthy? Some feedback on breeding would be appreciated.

The majority of bitches have their first season at about 6 months of age and continue to have them at 6 month intervals throughout their lives. Some, like your girl, have seasons less often (unless, of course her first season was very light and you missed it).

Discussions about breeding always open a can of worms, but for what it's worth here is my take on it. For context, bear in mind that (a) we are occasional breeders; and (B) we run SHWA(UK) - the biggest and busiest Husky Welfare organisation in the UK.

"How many litters is healthy?" - I don't believe that any bitch should be bred from until she is fully mature (2 years old at the earliest). To give the bitch full recovery time between litters, she should never be bred from on consecutive seasons. Overall, we would never recommend taking more than three litters from any bitch over their lifetime.

On breeding in general I would suggest the following guidelines for anyone considering breeding:

1. Is the bitch registered with the appropriate national Kennel Club? - If not, don't consider breeding.

2. Is the bitch of sufficient quality to be bred from? - Has she been successful in the showring? Does she have a good working attitude in harness? - If not, don't consider breeding.

3. Have all the appropriate health tests been carried out with good results? (Hips, eyes etc) - If not, don't consider breeding.

4. Can all the same questions be answered in the affirmative for the dog you are considering using at stud to your bitch? - If not, don't consider breeding with him.

5. If something goes wrong down the line, can you guarantee that you will take back any dogs of your breeding?

That's a kind of shorthand version of the minimum requirements for being a good responsible breeder. If you feel you can fulfill them all and are still ready and willing to breed, good luck!

It will also be useful to find an experienced breeder-mentor within the breed who can help you when things go wrong (as they inevitably will) and a really good vet that you can trust with the lives of your bitch and her (prospective) pups.

Mick

nice answer mick. added to rep

our saskia has had a litter before us, i would have never bred from her, and will be getting her spayed as soon as she is up to date with her vaccinations, and the vet considers her healthy.

she has a lipid build up in her eyes, which is visible in bright light, so that rules her out instantly

i know having puppies can be so much enjoyment, but please be reponsible.

make sure that you bitch is at least 2 years old and has been thoroughly check by the vet.

What Mick said :D

I would also add that you need to be prepared to, as the breeder, be responsible for any dog you chose to breed. That is any puppy your bitch ever has, you must be responsible for - if they ever end up in the pound or rescue, or their owners are unable to keep them, as a responsible breeder it is up to you to take them back.

Any good breeder will be a wealth of information for their puppy buyers, you support should be available for the life of the dog - you should encourage them to come to you for advice. I rely on my breeders to tell me all about the breed, answer any questions or troubles I have with training, health, diet, etc etc.

I have to add that can you afford to pay a huge vets bill, our last litter cost over 2000 as she needed a caesarain and had to be speyed at the same time, we had to help rear the pups and when she could she took over the rearing of the pups, a very scary time having your girl one the vets operating table,

Also can you take back the puppies at any age if the owners can't keep them, other wise you will be adding to a already over crowded reascue problem,.

What would you feel like if down the line you find one of your pups in a puppy mill or BYB breeder who is churning pups out of her at every season, until she is too ill or old to be useful,

These are some of the worse case senarios. but in the past 2 years of rescue we have seen them all first hand and its bloody scary, how nieve first time owners have a litter for the "good" of the bitch,

Please go meet some people, show your bitch to see if she is a proper example of the breed. then think long and hard,

are you breeding for the bitch or for you and why

Terry

Having second thoughts yet? The responses are absolutely spot on.