Play biting and leaping up

Hi

Being new here I wasn't sure if you have already covered this (and I'm trying to send this from work) we have a young sibe pup who likes to take things to the limit...

She nips me all the time dispite being told no firmly and being ignored (then jumps up behind me and tries to bite my head or pull my hair. Its all a big game), she also jumps up onto people if they sit on the sofa and tries to climb up on their shoulders and pull their hair.

We have tried everything so any suggestions would be helpful.

She is Bart Simpson on speed :rolleyes:

Maya does it as well so the following is from experience:

1- When you say no make sure you startle her. Make a Hitler-no not a 'oh look how cute she's biting no'

2- Take your hand away and hide it slowly. Fast movements will make her think she's playing and that you're encouraging her to try and do it again.

3- When you're being bitten, move your fingers backwards in her mouth where there is only gum. It will be more of a relief for both of you. They bit both to explore the environment and to aid teething.

4- Playbiting will stop once she starts growing up. (hopefully :) )

sounds cute but i can imagine annoying. rocky sometimes plays rough with skyler and me also!! However, he tries to nip but if he goes any where near me or anyone he is very gentle even when playing.

Retrospectively, he jumps up as he greet people - and ive tried to train him out of it with no joy. He still jumps up people but he now does it gently as opposed to bulldozing them!

Odin used to nip all the time and nothing we did stopped him he is 16month old now and as almost stopped it's very rare he nips but jusping up he only does now to say hello when we have been out i dont know if we are just lucky he as stopped but its nice now he's alot calmer good luck xx

For the jumping up on people and play biting I would make a quick, loud distraction noise like a clap or say "Ah!" then stand up, cross your arms and turn your back to her. If she insists on jumping on you from behind then I'd walk away and continue ignoring her until she calms down. If she tries going around you to face you then keep turning away and ignoring her. Sibes hate being ignored and it doesn't take long for them to get the message that play biting and jumping gets them no attention which is exactly what they are trying to get. When she is calmed down a bit/behaving then she can have attention.

:

3- When you're being bitten, move your fingers backwards in her mouth where there is only gum. It will be more of a relief for both of you. QUOTE]

but be carefull of the shearing teeth at the back, micha got me with hers when she was younger owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

micha was a biter, she still does ocasionally(she want to play tug of war, and she only gets our fingers just behind her fangs), this is what we tied and what worked.

1. we stopped playing instantly and ignored her for 20 seconds.

2. tried distracting her.

3. putting our other hands fingers in the back of her mouth where there are no teeth, apply a little preasure and micha opens her mouth.

tried all the usuall dog training tricks, nothing worked.

in the end what worked was when she bit, we held her down on the floor on her side and made a claw with our hand and held it onto the side of her kneck (courtesy of ceaser millan) then she submitted.

we got micha when she was 7 weeks old, we didnt know any better.

aparently dogs should notbe rehomed untill they are 12 weeks old, because that way they learn from their mother and siblings that biting hurts.

also remain calm and relaxed, i find it so easy to get micha to do what i want her to do when i am clam and relaxed (another ceaser millan thing).

Maya does it as well so the following is from experience:

1- When you say no make sure you startle her. Make a Hitler-no not a 'oh look how cute she's biting no'

2- Take your hand away and hide it slowly. Fast movements will make her think she's playing and that you're encouraging her to try and do it again.

3- When you're being bitten, move your fingers backwards in her mouth where there is only gum. It will be more of a relief for both of you. They bit both to explore the environment and to aid teething.

4- Playbiting will stop once she starts growing up. (hopefully :) )

good advice, added to rep :)

my two grew out of this quickly luckily i gave them a firm NO and a tap on the nose and then walked away, with the jumping up and trying to pull your hair, that is showing you no respect, i would turn round and hold your hand out palm facing down give her a firm SIT! make her realise you're in charge not her :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

We have tried the OWWW and standing up, so she jumps up and nips your behind instead.!!

The sudden loud noise (pennies in can, stones in bottle etc) she thinks its fun and does it even more.

I've tried the Hitler stare, this is also fun to her and she does a deep growl back.

She has now started to try and mount anyone who is sitting either on the chair or floor.

Mum thinks she is the puppy from hell as she has nearly destroyed all the plants in the garden and won't leave her alone to sit down for 5 mins.

We have all said that she is all our other dogs rolled into one, as she has all their traits.

She is so stubborn but a friend says that theirs was the same and slowly grew out of it by the time she was around 9 - 12 months.

Her favourite game at the moment is to run as fast as possible out of the house and into and around the garden for about 5 mins, then lays down tongue hanging out with the look of "What don't you do that too"

Thanks people, Kiki loves all flowers, climbs and eats my tomato plants! and any cardboard boxes. The wooden sewing box has just begun to taste nice also (looks like another vaseline and chili powder mix to be made later) !!

In a way its so funny to watch her, we know when she is up to something...it's the look in her eyes.

She is so well behaved once out walking, she got the sit and sty at the kerbside in one go, if only she can apply it indoors.:)

We had a Samoyed once and she was a handful until the day she passed away aged 13yrs.

She is a bit poorly today, gulped her food down too quickly and made herself sick, so no play biting as yet, but i'm sure she will make up for it later.

If she's jumping and nipping from behind then I would face her, without eye contact, and give her the knee when she tries to jump up and nip at you. If you have a lead on her you could also put her in a sit if she knows the command and actually listens to you...but from the sounds of it probably not. lol And anything that sets her off or excites her even more I would discontinue immediately.

Another thing you could try is using the NILIF (nothing in life is free) training method. I use NILIF with my dogs and what a difference in behavior and respect. ;) While many will say that unruly behavior may go away with age I am of the mind that unwanted behavior is easier to correct and extinguish before they get older and it becomes habit. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

Sounds like you have a pup who wants to be boss IMO.

The signs that make me think this are the fact that she will keep biting and cawling over you and visitors. To me it sounds like she knows if she carries on you eventually give up and so she wins.

The other sign was when you said she is starting to hump people when they are on the couch, ect which is another sign of her showing dominance over you.

How long are you trying each method? If it is the fact she is trying to become the leader then you need to become firm with her (I know how difficult that can be!) and don't give in to her. When you give in to her you are submitting to her and so she will look at that as you are allowing her to be pack leader.

How many methods have you tried? Changing the method too often can lead to confusion especially when tried and changed too often! Dogs and especially puppies need routine and continuety otherwise it all gets confusing and they would think to themselves "What do you want me to do now" and thats is usually where the changing of so many different methods becomes a failure. Try and stick to one method and if it doesnt work firm up on how you use that method.

Val's suggestion of the NILIF is very good idea when it comes to a bossy sibe and is a good way to practise your pack leardership shills. I would highly recommend starting it. Basically if she wants something, she has to earn it. For example, if she wants food she must do something for you first (i.e. Sit, Lie down, etc etc) then she may have what she wants.

One handy thing I found with dogs that jump on people is teaching them an alternative behaviour instead.

Dogs jump because they've learnt that is how they "win" your attention, so it becomes a habit. I teach my dogs that jumping up = no attention but that when they sit nicely and calmly they will get lots of pats and praise. My younger dogs instant reaction when I come home now is to run up and sit exactly at my feet - as she learnt this is how she gets pats.

So I'd push her down and ignore her, when she stops jumping for a second tell her to sit and then when she complies give lots of attention and pats.

Thanks for all the info, she is so cheeky. When I tell her off for the play biting (which the bruises are slowly going away) and turn away from her, she either jumps up and nips my behind or if she can reach me wraps her paws around my neck ( she has been given the nickname Nympho because of this!!!)

Mum is having the main problem as she is in her 80's and pup knows that mum is weaker then us and keeps jumping up on her. She spent the entire afternoon standing up as pup wouldn't take NO for an answer. Crate doesn't work as she goes in a wees in it then walks out!!

She is getting better but think that mum has made her mind up to dislike pup so its the battle of the wills !!!

She is sounding like she thinks she is the dominant force in your pack, you need to be the dominant one in your pack.

With regards to the jumping up and biting I would suggest forcefully pushing her down with a firm no, and say it as if you mean it, i have seen many a person say it with a hint of messing about in their voice, if that's the case the dog will never take you seriously.

If after 2 or 3 attempts she still doesn't listen, grab her firmly by the loose skin on the back of her neck and bring her to laying on her side on the floor, use a firm hand and keep her still until she calms down. this may take many attempts to be successful, eventually you should be able to take your hand a away and only let her get up when you say so. Let her know you aren't happy with her.

You say she runs out of the house like a looney, that one is a question of you making her come to the door and sit until you are ready to let her out. I make Kiana sit at the door and then open it, she still has to stay until I say, i actually go out of the door before her making her stay and sit, then once i'm out of the door and happy she has done what she is told she is then given the 'come' command.

The most important thing is to be the boss, she will actually respect you for it, be firm with her, she won't hate you for it.

Steve

Wadsworth I have a couple of questions for you.

Are you frightened of your dog?

Do you show her some sort of fear or lack of confidence?

Do you let her get away with these things sometimes because it seems easier that way?

If you answer no to all of the above then just continue checking her for everything she shouldn't be doing, but praise her for everything she does which is good. Be firm and fair and eventually you will win through.

Steve

Thanks for all the info, she is so cheeky. When I tell her off for the play biting (which the bruises are slowly going away) and turn away from her, she either jumps up and nips my behind or if she can reach me wraps her paws around my neck ( she has been given the nickname Nympho because of this!!!)

Mum is having the main problem as she is in her 80's and pup knows that mum is weaker then us and keeps jumping up on her. She spent the entire afternoon standing up as pup wouldn't take NO for an answer. Crate doesn't work as she goes in a wees in it then walks out!!

She is getting better but think that mum has made her mind up to dislike pup so its the battle of the wills !!!

Put her on the leash if she's around your mum or any person for that matter. This will help you gain instant control and stop her jumping up.

Like I said in my previous post teach her an alternative behaviour so she knows what to do instead of jumping up - teach her that jumping up = no attention and sitting nicely means you will give her a pat. She has to learn that jumping up is not the way to win.

She is sounding like she thinks she is the dominant force in your pack, you need to be the dominant one in your pack.

She could very well be testing the boundaries, but IMO what we need to remember with pups is that we are responsible for teaching the right behaviour and not just punishing them for the wrong thing.

Remember we are dealing with a young pup here. I would be wondering if she actually knows what the rules are, rather than punishing her before she knows what is expected of her. The general rule I abide by no matter what age the dog I am training is, or how well behaved they are normally, is that I will not punish or correct a dog that doesn't know better. That is, I only use corrections when a dog disobeys a known command. I think its unfair to punish them when they are yet to learn what a command means or what appropriate behaviour I expect. For this reason - I would try teaching an alternative behaviour first, like sit, so the pup learns what is expected of her, not only what it is that she isn't allowed to do.

Many pups jump up and 99% of the time it's because they've learnt that jumping up = attention, not because they are trying to dominate us.

HI Sorry I've not been here for a few days, in answwer to your question am I scared of her, no not at all. We had a samoyed who was strong willed but got her to toe the lin by the time she was about 6 months.

I am trying the scruff of neck at the moment so will see how it goes. As soon as she starts juming up I tell her firmly NO and ignore her by walking away from her, she does know she is in the wrong and will follow and try to lick. I also make her do something before she has any meal or treat.

I know it will take a while and she is very headstrong but I will win as all previous dogs found out

Thanks for all the advice, I will try and get on here later as sending this from work (a no no) so talk to you all later :)