ipod touch - backlight gone - help?

Naw, it's dead. Unless you want to bring it in for a repair, but I doubt Apple will do it for free because they'll see it was probably due to water damage...

would the backlight be cuz ov water tho cuz he dropped it in the dogs bowl a couple ov months ago now

There's an indicator in the phone that shows if it's ever been wet - even though it's been a couple of months, it'll still show and they'll disclaim it on that basis.

and take a look at this place. They have ipod parts - and the backlight is part of the screen. It's a US site, but that should give you some idea of what to look for there in the UK. LCD screen for an ipod's only US$29 so that's not too bad ...

My friend in work has an iphone, dropped it in water, it stopped working. took it in they said they wont fix it. Few months later it came back on and crashed so she took it in said it crashed, they fixed it.

Maybe take it to apple and see what they say? does your bro have warranty?

nah we got it out the catalouge i think (hes had it AGES its the old 1 without the cam on) think mum might just get him a new 1 for xmas

annoying thing is they dont do the 16gb 1s anymore

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of an old thread but I thought I'd help out anyway. Either the backlight is flat-out broken or there's just a loose connection somewhere. It's easy enough to pull the iPod apart (if it's out of warranty of course - since yours is water damaged I'd assume it is) to check the connections and replace the backlight if it's broken. I've had to Frankenstein quite a few iPods in my time.