Husky and small animals

Laska

Hi all

I have a question...

My little girl is 8 months now and she has alrdy killed the rabbit and she tries to bite anything thats smaller then her. im aware that anything smaller then a husky is normally fair game so they say as they are hunting dogs in the wild.

But yesterday she had a bite at my mothers small yorky terrier. i give her a good tellinf off for doing it but she seem obsessed and will do anything to get to him if she see's him.

Is this something she will grow out of . is it just because she wants to play in a puppy style and just gets over excited.

Thanks in advance

Huskys Can't Help Themselves

Huskys don't grow out of chasing things smaller than they are. I have had success in Abbie and my cat being able to be in the same room together without her chasing the cat but that took quite awhile of them living together though. Maya still chases the cat everytime she gets a chance to. Their favorite hobby is digging moles up in our backyard.

Siberian Huskies have a very strong prey instinct. Smaller animals, unfortunately, fall into the "preyed upon" category when it comes to Huskies. Some Huskies do very well with smaller dogs and even cats, while with other Huskies, these same smaller dogs or cats would not stand a chance. With a Husky, it's not just a puppy thing, it's a lifelong thing. All you can do is stay in control, keep things separated, and be consistent in your approach.

Thx guys ill keep a eye on her see if i can show her who the master is . wish me luck on that :rolleyes:

One more thing. just a little side note FYI, that small little if...... your pup will know you are trying to be master... and she will laugh in your face. you need to have the mind set that you are the boss... no exceptions. its your way or, the correction way.

hi, isha loves my rabbit and playes with him for hours in the garden but i think she thinks hes part of her pack, i used to have 2 cats too that she chased but just wanted to play with when che caught them, when i had kittens she would walk round with them gently in her mouth as if they were her babies, that said she does go after rabbits on the dunes where i let her run and i dont think she would like other cats, she caught a magpie in midflight once and killed it, when she was young she was off the lead and over the other side of a field and i heard her repeatedly yelping so i started sprinting in tears thinking someone had put a trap down and her leg was caught, by the time i got halfway i was convinced i would find her gnawing her leg off to get away (i have a very vivid imagination), she was however repeatedly body slamming a curled up hedgehog, it hurt and she yelped but she just kept backing up and slamming it again, i stopped her watching wwf after that and she never done it again lol.;)

Hi there, when i first decided to get a husky, that was my main concern cos on reading up (and i did a lot of that), most sites warned about huskies and smaller animals. The problem was i have 5 cats. I phoned a couple of vets, checked internet etc. and i was mostly told that if the pup was young enough it would be fine. I must say i have been very lucky. I've got 2 ladies now, 8 months and 10 months and though they chase them and almost seem 2 gang up on my cats, they've never hurt them. In fact as pups my cats would sleep with them on my bed. I must say when i got them as pups from day one i let them know by scolding that the cats were not there for biting, but i really also think i've just been very lucky. In answer 2 your question i reli dont know if its something they will outgrow. I must say my 10 month husky is far less interested in my cats than she used 2 be.

Hey,

It is known that Siberian Huskies do have a high pray drive and in general wont mix with other small furry animals but there are alot of owners on here that dont have that prob with theres. I think it is alot to do with the dog and how it is brought up as a puppy. If your finding that your sibe is not mixing well with other small animals then I think thats how he/she will prob stay but I could be wrong.

Our grey dont mix well with other small animals (we also have a pet Rat and cant mix them both) so we always have to keep an eyeout when walking incase we run into a cat. :D

Pretty much what the above have said really.... Sibes + small animal = Prey drive

End of the day though, you can still train to obey you. They will never been safe to leave alone with them, however if you make yourself the boss/pack leader then you may be able to curb it to some extent. We have the problem with our cat that they tend to chase her out of the house, and then other times they will ignore her completely. However when they are chasing, it only generally takes a good assertive tone for them to know to behave. This said, they have been with the cat since pups and it does make a big difference